Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help With In-Out LG?

ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member

Hello everyone. I was hoping to see if I could get some tips for in-out games. I’m currently going through the CC on it and honestly, many of the explanations are just confusing me even further and feel overdone. I’m really struggling the most with the “harder” and “hardest”difficulty level in-out games. I just cant finish these on time at all despite being able to go back during BR to get most of the answers right. My main problem is knowing when to divide the game board into separate worlds/translating some of the rules/knowing when they’re activated or not. Should I just keep drilling these games until I get faster or is there something else that I am missing? If someone could drop some tips on how to improve at this I’d greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• katie_L_Bkatie_L_B Member
    21 karma

In-Out Games are a beast for me. Something that helped me develop my intuition about splitting boards was going through board set ups for games I'd already taken and writing out every conceivable board combination with the pieces. The key for me was to do this untimed. If I got upwards of a dozen, then I knew it would not have been helpful to actually split them up. This also helped me pick up on inferences I missed before. During BR for LG, I do this will all the games and it has helped me get down to the -0 to -2 range consistently.

The thing with LG is that the more you drill the better you get. It's hard to have unproductive practice time if you're putting in time. So, the"trick" to LG is to drill the same games over and over. It's a pretty unsexy answer, but practice really does make it easier.

• ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
    414 karma

@katie_L_B said:
    In-Out Games are a beast for me. Something that helped me develop my intuition about splitting boards was going through board set ups for games I'd already taken and writing out every conceivable board combination with the pieces. The key for me was to do this untimed. If I got upwards of a dozen, then I knew it would not have been helpful to actually split them up. This also helped me pick up on inferences I missed before. During BR for LG, I do this will all the games and it has helped me get down to the -0 to -2 range consistently.

The thing with LG is that the more you drill the better you get. It's hard to have unproductive practice time if you're putting in time. So, the"trick" to LG is to drill the same games over and over. It's a pretty unsexy answer, but practice really does make it easier.

Certainly gonna try mapping out all the different game boards till I start to find the patterns! These seem to be one of the few game types I struggle with so I’ll continue drilling and hope to improve. Thanks!!

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Practice makes perfect and as mentioned above, its important to try and see the patterns in in/out games. The inferences to be drawn become very repetitive after a while.

But something else i wanted to add is that its important to be absolutely fluent in conditonal logic and what happens when you affirm the sufficient or necessary and/or deny the sufficient or necessary. These are things JY emphasizes on most in/out videos because they're absolutely key to doing well on those games. So make sure you've got those fundamental skills down. It'll help you see more easily how many possible worlds there are and how the pieces will move around in each world.