Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendation from Non-Professors

xuzuqiaoxuzuqiao Core Member

A bit of context: I am currently 2+ years out of undergrad. I worked in a summer research program during undergrad where I worked closely with a graduate student, who was on a PhD track and one of the principal researchers on the project. In addition, I spoke every 2 weeks with the supervising Professor on the program to touch base with him about research progress. The graduate student was my main mentor, and he had daily insight into my daily research work.

From what I gather from online sources, a professor in my major would be the optimal person to write my LOR. However, I feel that the graduate student who supervised my daily work is much more familiar with my work ethic and research abilities. Would law schools view a personalized, well-written letter from a graduate student mentor/instructor less favorably compared to a more general, but still overall positive LOR from a professor?

Thanks!

Comments

• tinacioust-1tinacioust-1 Live Member
    118 karma

My two cents: go with the graduate student! What I hear reiterated again and again by admission professionals (like the NLS podcast) is that the letter should speak to your personal/professional/academic capabilities in detail. I.e. - general platitudes from the professor will not get you as far as a well-written, detailed advocation from a grad student.

Good luck, whichever you choose!

• xuzuqiaoxuzuqiao Core Member
    91 karma

Thanks for your input! After looking through more sources, I've reached the same decision. I'll reach out to my grad student mentor.