Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remembering how to narrow in on main points

jhile123jhile123 Core Member

I find myself getting a little overwhelmed with the study methods and how to logically reason myself to understand the correct answers before they are explained. My first practice test did not go well and left me a bit discouraged. Does anyone have some advice on ways I can help prep myself a little better.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27828 karma

Hang in there. Be stubborn. Don’t accept anything less of yourself than complete comprehension before you look at the explanation. If it feels overwhelming, that’s because it is. This test is really, really hard, and there’s nothing you can do to change that. The only thing that makes it easier is doing the work and mastering more and more of it. At this stage, the most important thing is to not use the explanations as a crutch. They are not there to explain the answers to you. They are there for you to consult and collaborate with. Treat JY as a colleague, not as an authority greater than yourself. I mean, he is a higher authority, just don’t treat the explanations that way! Find your own solutions and understanding.

How you react to discouragement is a part of what your final score will reflect. Law schools have a legitimate interest in our fortitude in the face of discouragement. Law school will knock you down, and they need to know you’re going to keep getting back up no matter how hard you get knocked down.

• 180Lesketit180Lesketit Member
    74 karma

Read for structure in LR and RC. This will help you get to the crux of whatever you're reading without getting too muddled in the details. Also, when you read for structure you will more easily remember where to find such details if you need. Remember your basics such as referential phrasing, descriptors, etc. That will also help you parse out the structure.