Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to take the actual LSAT

agoldblattagoldblatt Member
edited November 2022 in General 14 karma

Hi all,
I would love some advice from the community on when to take my first actual LSAT. I work full time, so I’ve been working through the CC for the past 3 months. I just took my first PT since the diagnostic, and I actually got my goal score, which I’m sure I can improve on. Of course I need to keep PTing to be sure I can maintain the score, but assuming I can do that over the course of 3-4 weeks….

I’m trying to decide whether to sign up for 1/2022 or 2/2022; I don’t plan to apply until the next cycle. I’m torn between wanting to keep up momentum for January, or continuing to PT until February and doing the best I possibly could, though I’d risk losing some momentum…

What do others think is the right timeline?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited November 2022 2245 karma

I wouldn’t be concerned about “losing momentum” if you sign up for February. If you’re truly capable of achieving that score consistently, you’ll have more than enough time to straighten out any lulls you’re in before your February date. You could sign up for the January date, take another PT before the deadline, see the score, and if the score is higher than your average, keep the date, and if it’s lower, push back to February. From my understanding, you can push your test date back a month for free before the registration deadline.

Personally, I’d try not to take the test until you’ve been scoring in your goal range for at least a few weeks before the test, but I know that’s not possible to know before the January registration deadline. So if you’re okay with possibly spending the $135 fee to push your date back after the registration deadline, I’m sure you’d be fine to sign up for January, but if not, you may want to consider it a bit more. If you’re more willing to take the risk, though, totally disregard my comments.