Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 vs 4-Section PTs

ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
in General 414 karma

Hey everyone. I wanted to gauge everyones thoughts on doing PTs with 3 sections vs 4 sections. I’ve heard a lot of people mention that doing 3-section PTs inflates your scores due to stamina being less of a factor. I usually opt for the 3-section PT as I find it more efficient and just better overall for days when I don’t have much time. However, I recently took a 4-section test and actually received the highest score I’ve ever gotten on it. This takes me back to my question on what people think is best. Is it really so bad to do 3-section PTs? I understand it doesn’t simulate real exam conditions but, again, I’d like to hear some opinions on what you guys do!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited February 2023 2239 karma

If I had to conclusively decide which is the "best" between practicing with 3 section tests and 4 section tests, I guess I'd have to say 4 section because it's what you'll see on test day. But seeing as there's no gun to my head, I think the answer is that "it depends."

I'd highly advise that everyone take at least 2 or 3 tests with 4 sections before they consider taking the real one just to make sure that the extra section doesn't wear them out. If someone was scoring, say, a consistent -3 on each section when taking a 3 section test, then noticed they were scoring lower on the 4th section or were just having more trouble reasoning through questions on the 4th section, I think it's a good indicator that person needs to continue taking 4 section tests to build stamina. I think a 4th section can also be useful to teach you to stay motivated on a 4th section even if you feel like the first 3 sections were rough.

If, however, you're scoring consistently on 3 and 4 section tests (meaning you've taken at least 3 tests with 4 sections and there's absolutely no fluctuation between your scores on them and your scores on 3 section tests), I really don't think it matters whether you take 3 or 4 section PTs. It may be useful to throw in a 4 section PT every now and then, of course, but if you're sure that the 4th section doesn't fatigue you or mess with your mental state, I think 3 is perfectly fine. Trust me, there have been occasions where I had just enough time to complete a 3 section PT and opted to do it instead of not taking a PT at all. As long as you're comfortable with 4, I think 3 section tests are perfectly fine and useful. Seeing as you set a personal best on a 4 section test, I think it's extremely likely that you're fine!

I hope these comments help, though I must warn that I'm not a tutor or a guru. Just another guy studying and trying to figure out the most effective study methods.

• ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
    414 karma

@"Matt Sorr" Awesome response. I pretty much agreed with every single point you made. Just became a bit concerned because I was starting to see many more posts of people advising against 3-section tests on other sites. Will definitely be taking more 4-section tests before the real exam but I would agree with every point you made. Unless there are big fluctuation between scores in a 3-section PT vs a 4-section one I think 3 is just fine.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

@ClaudioD21 Glad I could help and good luck!