Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accept another school offer while waitlisted for another?

Hello! Hoping to get some ideas here because I have no idea what the correct etiquette is.

I got waitlisted for a school that's one of my top choices but in the email it says offers can be as late as from May to even August. Obviously I can't just wait on them when the other schools I got into have acceptance deadlines in April. Can I accept an offer for a school and then pull out if my waitlisted school accepts me?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2023 8313 karma

Your acceptance/deposit is not a binding commitment to attend. You are free to pull out but just typically lose the deposit. Usually recommended you don't hold out banking on a WL pull.

• C_S_D 01C_S_D 01 Member
    252 karma

Read the fine script comment because it depends on the school. Most of them allow you to do this but some stipulate that if you deposit with them they consider that to be binding.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @liberation1st. Former admissions officer here. Unless there is language stating that acceptance of the admissions offer is binding (usually early decision agreements and some scholarship awards), you may deposit at one school and remain on the waitlist at another school. If you are eventually admitted off the waitlist, you may withdraw from the school at which you have deposited. Good luck!