Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

admissions at law school

krkr1234krkr1234 Member
edited March 2023 in Law School Admissions 4 karma

I hold a bachelor's degree in law, but the GPA is low

After that, I studied for a master's degree and got a high GPA

The question is, can I be accepted to study jd in America after I get a good mark in lsat?

The question 2 is, will they consider the master's degree and ignore the bachelor's degree?

Comments

• tiareynolds71tiareynolds71 Live Member
    20 karma

@krkr1234 said:
    I hold a bachelor's degree in law, but the GPA is low

After that, I studied for a master's degree and got a high GPA

The question is, can I be accepted to study jd in America after I get a good mark in lsat?

The question 2 is, will they consider the master's degree and ignore the bachelor's degree?

• tiareynolds71tiareynolds71 Live Member
    20 karma

I am in very similar situation. Wondering what weight, if any, my high graduate gpa will be given to account for low ugpa. Eager to hear the response. And thanks!

• offy0c-1-1offy0c-1-1 Live Member
    241 karma

For what I have heard is that they consider the undergraduate GPA over the graduate one. I think one of the reasons that they do this is because not a lot of students have received a post graduate degree when they are applying for law school.

• Hephner_Hephner_ Live Member
    edited March 2023 59 karma

your masters degree is considered a soft factor and will be looked at but your bachelors gpa will hold more weight - once you take the lsat & score high, you will be considered a splitter(Lower gpa, higher lsat)

• KelllyyyKelllyyy Live Member
    43 karma

I am in a similar position and I know my chances of gaining admissions is low low, unless I get a higher than average lsat score. sucks

• Jacob BaskaJacob Baska Member Admissions Consultant
    21 karma

Hey krkr1234! Chiming in as one of the 7Sage admissions consultants!

So I'm making some assumptions here. Given that you said that you have a "bachelor's degree in law" but you ask if you can be "accepted to study jd in America," I'm guessing that you have an LLB from a college/university outside of the US and Canada. I not, just let me know!

OK, so if you have an undergrad degree from outside the US, two things are true:
    1) Your GPA will not be reportable in numerical form and won't be considered as a factor in schools' medians.
    2) Schools will still look at your grades.

So while it would have been nice if your grades had been higher, they're also not hurting you as much as you may be worried about since they won't go into schools' medians.

Now to your questions:
    1) Can you still be accepted to a law school if you do well on the LSAT? Totally! Schools admit foreign educated students every year. You can get a sense of how much by checking out their ABA required reports (https://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx).
    2) Will they consider your Masters work and ignore your BA? No, they'll consider both.

I hope that helps!