PTC.S3.Q18 - Chelas and Stelma are required to leave their respective stations

httborahttbora Core Member
edited March 2023 in Logical Reasoning 16 karma

This is a Must be false question.
I have a difficult time making two different diagrams about the conditions.
[ Chelas and Stelma are required to leave their respective stations immediately to pursue any prisoner who attempts to escape from their sector. Furthermore, unless they are pursuing such a prisoner, Chelas and Stelma are forbiddened to leave their stations until their replacements have arrived. ]

My thought is 1. pursue any prisoner who attempts to escape -> C and S leave their sectors
2. ~forbbidened to leave stations until their replacements have arrived -> pursue prisoner

Can you help me to make right diagrams?

Comments

• Clemens_Clemens_ Live Member
    287 karma

I would diagram this somewhat as follows:

(1) If PRISONER ESCAPES, then LEAVE AND PURSUE
    (2) If not PRISONER ESCAPES, then REMAIN AT STATION

We furthermore know: Only ONE of Chelas and Stelmas violated these rules. It is not the case that both violated them.

The question stem now asks: If all this is true, which of the following cannot be the case?

Answer Choice (D) indicates: PRISONER ESCAPES happens, but neither Chelas nor Stelmas LEAVE AND PURSUE. That is, in both cases, A -> B, as well as A, but in neither case B. This cannot be the case: If answer choice (D) is right, both Chelas and Stelmas violated the rules, not just one of the two. This goes against the information we get from the stimulus.

• httborahttbora Core Member
    16 karma

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you!