Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel stuck

allieberrieallieberrie Live Member
in Logic Games 23 karma

So I feel like I know what I’m doing but when I look at a new game I’m totally stuck. It seems like everything I thought I knew flies out the window. Especially for in and out games. I read how people say these games are repetitive but to me they all seem so different. How do I get to this “repetition” stage. I’ve practiced games on here over and over. It’s the new ones I’ve never seen that give me a hard time.

Comments

• KelllyyyKelllyyy Live Member
    edited March 2023 43 karma

I use to feel the same way. But practice is really the key (slow progress). Once you keep seeing the same idea over and over again, you'll pick it up. Work on easier games to get a hang of it.

One thing that helps me is looking at the AC set up, it gives me an idea.
    *Also, I think you really can set up boards in w/e way helps you.

When I first started, I couldn't finish simple sequencing games for the LIFE of me.

• spittingnickelsspittingnickels Live Member
    110 karma

it helped me to classify the game types before even entering the rules. in other words , 9 vegetables being placed into 3 baskets of 3 vegetables each would be a 3 to 3 correspondence, or a "balanced game"........similarly, 9 antibiotics being placed into 3 pill bottles of 3 pills each is an identical "balanced game" even though the subject matter is completely different. once you categorize the games like that, the superficial difficulties are easier to dismiss

• elias.christensenelias.christensen Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    37 karma

One thing I might suggest doing to supplement what you're learning from foolproofing is game board set up drills—look at fresh games from older tests you won't use for PTs and try to figure out how you should attack them, getting as far as you can with your board and inferences, and answer the first question. Then watch JY's video explanations to see where your logic hits a wall and give yourself an idea of where you should pay attention to in games like this. This is a more rapid-fire way of learning to recognize and respond to new games than foolproofing, but you can feel free to foolproof games you use for these drills afterwards as well. If you need help coming up with more drills tailored to your needs, feel free to set up a free consultation with one of our expert tutors to talk over what an effective study schedule looks like for you!