Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie here: When to start taking PrepTests?

hm_dubs5hm_dubs5 Live Member
in General 26 karma

Hello! I'm just finishing off my first week with 7Sage, and I'm wondering when to start taking full-length PrepTests. (I am not in a rush to prepare for a specific test date.) Should I start when I've worked through all the course content, immediately, or sometime in between? If there is guidance on this in the course, I have not been able to locate it yet.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• CrazyCroweCrazyCrowe Alum Member
    28 karma

I recommend taking practice tests as early as possible. I get lost in the theory if I spend too much time grinding through the course. Practice tests make sure that I stay grounded in what's essential. I learned this early on, so most of my studies are made up of practice tests, blind review, and drilling myself on JY's explanations of the problems I missed. I have found this to be fulfilling, very effective, and enjoyable. Oh, and make sure not to forget to do blind review. Really struggle with the questions before watching the explanation. You will see much greater gains this way. Best of luck!

• hm_dubs5hm_dubs5 Live Member
    26 karma

@CrazyCrowe Thanks for your input! Much appreciated. Planning my practice test schedule now :)

• TomHagenTomHagen Alum Member
    edited May 2023 78 karma

I agree with crazy Crowe, but wanted to add that you should try to save a good chunk of the pts numbered in the 80s and 90s for when you’re nearing the end of your prep and getting ready to take the exam. Those tests are the ones that most closely resemble the modern test and are invaluable as a way to determine what kind of score to expect when you sit for the actual lsat.

• simon170simon170 Alum Member
    51 karma

I would only do so when missing around the amount required for your goal score on individual sections

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2023 8313 karma

Hmm... I'd disagree with the consensus in this thread thus far. Assuming you don't yet have the skills addressed by the core curriculum, it is designed to equip you with the tools to take the test. PT's test your ability to employ those tools effectively. There is little point in testing your performance on a task you have not yet learned to execute correctly. All things equal, yes, exposure to more content is better than less, but trying to learn by banging out PT's is a pretty inefficient way to approach this test and burns novel content which is not unlimited.

I'd do the CC and the problem sets following each section, paying attention to your timing/skipping as you go, and doing a good BR and written review afterward. When you finish the CC then you can roll into a PT/BR/review/drill cycle to address performance.

• hm_dubs5hm_dubs5 Live Member
    26 karma

@canihazJD I decided not to take PTs until I finished the CC, and I'm glad I waited. A quick review of the LR part of the CC was sufficient to jog my memory enough when I finally finished the logic games section. And I saved precious PTs!