Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to approach games if they're hard for you (even after practicing)?

markmywordsmarkmywords Core Member
in Logic Games 243 karma

Oftentimes when I watch JY's explanations, I feel like 'wow I never would have made that inference on my own' or I still don't understand at all. So I obviously need work but I'm not sure how to approach my Games practice. When I fool proof, I tend to feel like I'm memorizing and just brain dumping versus practicing and making inferences on my own. I need a 'Games for Dummies' guide-- a really straightforward approach for a neurodiverse brain, as someone who Games are not intuitive whatsoever. I've done the CC and I practice memorizing logic rules a few times a week, so not knowing the basics isn't the issue. I try to set up the games without watching JY's videos and sometimes I do really well--I often solve it using a different approach than JY takes. And sometimes I'm solving 5/5 difficulty on my own and they feel like a breeze. But other times, I get pretty stuck on one of the questions and I end up having to watch the video for support. But when I do that, I feel like I miss out on the practice of making inferences for myself and I really need that practice. Comment if games aren't exactly intuitive for you and tell me what has worked!

Comments

• harrisons92harrisons92 Alum Member
    10 karma

I had a similar experience when doing games for the first 1-2 months of studying. Other people have said the same thing in the past but I truly agree-- brute forcing your brain into thinking along the lines of the explanations is the only thing that worked for me. It took ~20-30 hours of games-exclusive practice before I was able to make the types of inferences they make in the explanations.

• markmywordsmarkmywords Core Member
    243 karma

@harrisons92 That's really helpful, thanks. Did take the time to foolproof each game (is that what you mean by brute forcing)? Did you watch JY's video BEFORE attempting? Or try it on your own and watch if you needed help?