Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing Center vs Remote Testing?

I am currently signed up to take the August LSAT and I've been debating on taking the test at an in-person testing center this go around. Unfortunately, my first two attempts taking the LSAT I ran into technical difficulties and issues with my proctor interrupting, which caused me to lose ~8 minutes on my most recent attempt in June. Would love to hear other people's opinion on in-person testing vs online before I make my final decision this afternoon. Thanks!

Comments

• charlesedeckervcharlesedeckerv Live Member
    8 karma

This is a hang up for me as well. After the numerous horror stories I've seen and heard regarding past LSATs administered online, specifically June 2023 LSAT; I'm not sure which option is best. It seems that the online issues are due to either one or some combination of: 1) proctor attitude/mood; or 2) faulty/subpar internet connection. It almost seems more worthwhile to test in a center, but I haven't done that since the ACT, and I'm not sure if that's something I want to do again! Bumping for hopefully someone with more answers to come along and put some anxieties at ease.

• esaelaleesaelale Live Member
    80 karma

I am leaning towards taking it online (for the third time) because I am worried about the impact others around me would have in a testing center. I was lucky enough to only ever have good proctors and testing experience's, so that may be why I am more comfortable doing it online again. Ultimately, you have to weigh what you are more comfortable with, the uncertainty of the proctor/tech issues or the uncertainty of the others that will be around you in the testing center (making noise, getting up, etc.).

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    503 karma

@charlesedeckerv yeah unfortunately I was one of the few June 2023 that had problems with the proctor. I saw somewhere online that the in-person testing centers allow students to wear head phones during the test (headphones already at the center), and that you are testing in a cubicle. I feel like these changes would help with distractions, but I'm not sure if this is true.

• colepettitmillercolepettitmiller Alum Member
    3 karma

I am gearing up to take the September LSAT as my third attempt. I took the first two attempts from by desk at home, and fortunately did not have any issues other than my lack of preparation lol. I plan on taking my third attempt online. If you take your PTs from home, then I would suggest taking the online proctored option. Make sure your PTs are taken at roughly the same time of day, to ensure that your routine is consistent to your test day. I don't have any insight regarding the testing facility option, however if you are concerned about technical, WIFI, or atmospheric difficulties of online testing, I would suggest playing it safe at a testing site. Hope this helps.