Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering Quitting Job To Study For LSAT

2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
in General 248 karma
Hi, I am 23 years old and currently living with my parents while working/studying for LSAT. I have cut out drinking and going out and focused on my studying for preparation for October or December LSAT. Recently, my job has picked up and don't have a minute to spare to study while at work. I am working 9-5 M-Thursday. I can't really reduce my hours but these hours make it tough to study around. I get out around 5 and then home around 6:30 after the gym and I'm pretty drained at night while studying. I do well with my Friday-Sunday but feel I am limiting myself by working M-Thursday. It's hard to fit two BR practice tests in a Fri-Sun span. I don't want to score under my full potential because of a bullshit job. I explained this to my parents and my mom has never worked a day in her life so she doesn't grasp the importance of the LSAT. Further, my dad owns a Criminal Law Firm and claims he studied for the LSAT while working and going to school so I can do it too. I explained that this isn't 1980 and to succeed in Law and I need to go to a top 20 or so school. I am still going to quit even though they don't understand. Can anyone relate or am I being ridiculous?

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I can relate to this insofar as I acknowledge that I was really lucky not to have had to work throughout the majority of my prep; it can be done, and a lot of people here on the forums are really admirable for all of the work/life/stuff that they have to juggle on top of trying to fit some hours in studying, but I am glad that I did have the time to concentrate solely on the test. If you have the opportunity and the job doesn't really mean anything to you, then I think putting LSAT as the top priority is a smart choice and a good investment in your future. I think if you frame the decision in terms of just that, an investment in your future, your scholarship potential, and your future earnings (by getting into a better law school), then you'll be able to convince your parents that quitting your job now is better for you as a whole. Also, the LSAT is really demanding and consistently studying burnt out (which it seems that you might be doing) will probably not get you to where you want to be.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    What's the rush? You're 23, get some work experience and take it next June or next October. Save some money (you'll need it!) I'd say enjoy yourself, work hard, take up a minimalist study approach with 7Sage or the Trainer and then ramp up a little bit when you get closer to the test you eventually choose. Also, you only need a T20 school to have better chances at certain outcomes (Big Law/Big Time Clerking), so you can get a lot of great outcomes by going almost anywhere as long as it suits your needs and you can pay for it or deal with the debt comfortably. Honestly, you'll be a much more interesting candidate with more life/work experience and will be able to take the time to do a slow prep that will really help make you smarter in the long run.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Honestly, you'll be a much more interesting candidate with more life/work experience and will be able to take the time to do a slow prep that will really help make you smarter in the long run.
    100% agree with this. You have nothing to lose and potentially much to gain by thinking outside of the box it sounds like you're in.
    7965 karma
    @c.janson35 said:
    Also, the LSAT is really demanding and consistently studying burnt out (which it seems that you might be doing) will probably not get you to where you want to be.
    SO true. Major upvote on this point.
  • Like_SpikeLike_Spike Live Member
    203 karma
    I first started prepping for the LSAT while working full time and found that completing anything more than 10 hours per week of prep was very difficult. A longer study schedule was not an appealing option for me for various reasons and so I opted to postpone writing the LSAT until I could take a leave from my job. That leave started in June and I'm now studying for the LSAT full time. As you might expect, I do find it much easier to consistently make time to study. However, I haven't noticed any improvements over how much I can complete per hour of studying (e.g., a prep-test and blind review still takes me the better part of a day). So, if you can manage a longer prep schedule, you might find that you can learn just as well over a longer period as you would in a shorter, condensed period.
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    248 karma
    @Pacifico Hey all, thanks for the input. To add on some things I may not have mentioned... I plan on taking the December LSAT if I am not prepared for October and have been prepping for 1.5+ months already, so I am taking the slow and consistent route. I am a year removed from college and will have 2 years gap in between. (have good work experience, too.) I come from a family of lawyers and doctors, all of which whom are very financially succesful. The fact that I have put ANY time off in between college and undergraduate is unacceptable to my family and I am receiving pressure from everyone, regularly.. Which is OKAY, because I WANT to go to law school. I can easily quit my job and be on target for the upcoming exams. I am aiming for Big Law. I just wanted to know if anyone was in a similar boat and was considering something similar!
  • bruno.dalsantobruno.dalsanto Alum Member
    94 karma
    I agree with your decision @2RARE2CARE, i had the same problems with my parents expectations too so I know how you feel and you are right about your reasons as well. Most people, especially if you are paying for your law school with loans, getting to a top 20 law school is important and for that a good LSAT score is key. So if you think the best way for you to achieve you full potential is leaving your job and giving yourself more time to study, go for it! Good luck
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Honestly. You have to do what YOU feel is best for you. I was in the exact same position as you. I started studying May of 2014 and considered quitting my job then. I didn't, scored a 155 on the December 2014 LSAT and had to re write. Fast forward to today, I finally asked my boss to reduce my hours from 830-430 M-F to 8:30-1 M-F. You have to do what you think is best for yourself and the timeline that you want.
    7965 karma
    @2RARE2CARE said:
    so I am taking the slow and consistent route.
    When we say "slow and consistent," we do not mean 5.5-6 months maximum.

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2584/why-knowledge-is-not-enough

We mean more like a year.
    edited August 2015 7965 karma
    @2RARE2CARE said:
    The fact that I have put ANY time off in between college and undergraduate is unacceptable to my family and I am receiving pressure from everyone, regularly..
    Ignore them.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 7468 karma
    @2RARE2CARE It’s been my experience that parental pressure is usually accompanied by parental financial support. I’m not saying that that is your issue because I have no idea; I’m just playing the odds. But if it is, then you have to ask yourself what’s more important: the money or the freedom. The other consideration is that prepping for the LSAT doesn’t care about either. Prepping for LSAT usually takes as long as it takes. The good news is there is serious potential for growth; the bad news is that, for many, a key ingredient is time.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    edited August 2015 456 karma
    I can totally relate as I'm in a extremely similar situation as you are. I'm 23, and also recently moved back to my parents house to study for the LSAT. I also have cut out drinking and going out all together until the LSAT is behind me. The past year and a half I have been working for a law firm in the DFW area doing everything from legal research/case prep, writing speeches, and digital marketing/e-commerce. It was demanding to juggle work responsibilities, a full semester of classes, a girl friend, and LSAT prep to say the least. During the semester 10-15 hours a week was the most I could manage. I didn't quit my job for obvious reasons, however I told them I would need the entire summer off work to prep for the LSAT thoroughly. The partners at the law firm were very supportive of my decision and pretty much just told me to go kick ass, and to let them know when I'm ready for more work.

You're not being ridiculous at all in wanting to maximize your LSAT potential. As long as you'll be okay financially I would highly recommend taking an extended break from work (at least until you really have the LSAT fundamentals down). I doubt you will regret it. I know I haven't. Good luck with your prep!!!

7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    I’m not saying that that is your issue because I have no idea; I’m just playing the odds. But if it is, then you have to ask yourself what’s more important: the money or the freedom. The other consideration is that prepping for the LSAT doesn’t care about either. Prepping for LSAT usually takes as long as it takes. The good news is there is serious potential for growth; the bad news is that, for many, a key ingredient is time.
    Someone give this man a raise. Or start paying him. Or set him up a "gofundme." Something to give back for this delicious distilled truth right here.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Or set him up a "gofundme."
    I’ll take a “gofundme”. Kids got to eat, and Kaplan LSAT books taste terrible.
  • tamnRNC2tamnRNC2 Alum Member
    58 karma
    You're 23, when do you want to start law school? Are you happy with your career right now? If you commit full-time, how many months of studying do you estimate it will take before you are ready to take the LSAT at the score you desire? Will this work experience benefit you as an applicant in the law school admissions process down the road?
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    I’ll take a “gofundme”.
    There you go. And they're so CUTE! Let's feed Dave's kids. Oh and get him a nice steak.
    7965 karma
    @tamnRNC2 said:
    Will this work experience benefit you as an applicant in the law school admissions process down the road?
    This could be an important consideration. WE is a great soft to differentiate yourself from K-JD folks!
  • africannarpafricannarp Member
    edited August 2015 165 karma
    I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago and I even told my boss I had to quit, but we worked it out. Now I take PT every other morning from 7am to 11am. I used to work 11 hours + a day. Now on my PT days, I work from 11am to 8pm. I wouldn't say my situation is ideal, but my point is that there are options other than quitting your job to study for lsat.
    7965 karma
    @africannarp said:
    Now I take PT every other morning from 7am to 11am.
    That's a lot of PT's! Are you getting in true BR for each? If not, I'd say ... Cut back on PT's/week. BR is more important than taking more and more PT's.
  • I got in?I got in? Alum Member
    11 karma
    Two ways to go about this: you take advantage of your youth and take your time, or you quit and study for the LSAT.

Pacifico's reply is perfect considering your age.

However, if you're going to disregard his advice, I'd say you are going to have to play the long game. That is to say, you quit your job (take a step back) for the short game (term), while getting in and finishing law school will set you up for the long game (term). I'd like to point out here that unless you go to an IVY LEAGUE law school, employers are not going to come running to beg for you to work at their firm. Do not assume that law school = Job, as it is merely a tool to make you a better applicant.

As a side note, I understand completely that you may have a great backup working at your father's law firm, but given how he compares his struggle with your lack of struggle for success, I do not see him being the understanding type. I have typically encountered these people to hold others to a higher degree of criticism. Working for him would just put way too much pressure on you. I strongly recommend seeking employment at another firm where you are treated the same as all the rest.

Lastly, your father's comparison with working and studying should matter very little. My high school History professor use to gloat about attending University of Southern California (USC). At the very end of the school year, he confessed: He was a walk-on admittance. My how times have changed....
    165 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    That's a lot of PT's! Are you getting in true BR for each? If not, I'd say ... Cut back on PT's/week. BR is more important than taking more and more PT's.
    I usually score around 169, so my BR really doesn't take too long. Would you recommend that I go over the questions that I do not circle during the tests?
    7965 karma
    @africannarp said:
    my BR really doesn't take too long.
    What are your BR scores?
    165 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    What are your BR scores?

From 173 to 179..depends on the test
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    248 karma
    Thanks for all the great responses, I have decided I'm going to quit. Yes, parental pressure = financial pressure. I live in Long Island, NY.. If I decided to move out I'd be paying 1100$ per month on rent to live in a shack. Delaying law school isn't going to help me long term nor in the immediate short term so that is why I'm locked in for this admission cycle. Thanks again.
    8021 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    That's likely only 3 PTs per week M/W/F
    @"I got in?" said:
    I'd like to point out here that unless you go to an IVY LEAGUE law school, employers are not going to come running to beg for you to work at their firm.
    This is patently false. Stanford isn't in the Ivy League, and Cornell isn't even in the top 10, so I'd change out Ivy League to T14 and then caveat that with applying mostly to national/international firms. If you're staying local after law school then there are a lot of T50 or T100 law schools that have great outcomes within the local market.
    @africannarp said:
    I usually score around 169, so my BR really doesn't take too long. Would you recommend that I go over the questions that I do not circle during the tests?
    No, just keep doing what you're doing.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 3658 karma
    @2RARE2CARE There's a lot of great advice in this thread. One thing I like to add is that it's really tough to go off of the opinions of others. Everyone is different in terms of their own habits (whether they be good or bad). I would really suggest that you sit down with your thoughts and do an extensive cost-benefit analysis of your dilemma. It's important to really parse out all options and determine what is the best route for yourself. A good question to start with is: if given this freedom of time to commit to the LSAT, can you truly capitalize on this time?

I wish you luck!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @2RARE2CARE said:
    Thanks for all the great responses, I have decided I'm going to quit. Yes, parental pressure = financial pressure. I live in Long Island, NY.. If I decided to move out I'd be paying 1100$ per month on rent to live in a shack. Delaying law school isn't going to help me long term nor in the immediate short term so that is why I'm locked in for this admission cycle. Thanks again.
    Good for you for determining what you're going to do :) now, kick some assss.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    3 PTs per week M/W/F
    I must have missed that he said he's taking weekends off? Still. It's ... a lot.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    If you're staying local after law school then there are a lot of T50 or T100 law schools that have great outcomes within the local market.
    Thank you. This is why you're the dude.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    @africannarp said:
    No, just keep doing what you're doing.

Yeah, given your BR scores ... Just chill. You're good.
    7965 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    I would really suggest that you sit down with your thoughts and do an extensive cost-benefit analysis of your dilemma. It's important to really parse out all options and determine what is the best route for yourself. A good question to start with is: if given this freedom of time to commit to the LSAT, can you truly capitalize on this time?
    Dig. This is the ENTJ sweet spot ... ;)
    8021 karma
    The implicit assumption was a five day work week in which PTs were done every other day that he worked.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    implicit assumption
    NOT AGAIN. *falls over*
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    If you quit your job you must treat the LSAT like a Full-time job + overtime! If you're willing to do that then go for it. But if you can work and do 10-20 hrs per week and postpone the LSAT for maybe June of next year then stick with your job and studying for the LSAT part-time.