Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you usually wait to practice on the same drills again?

turtbreadsturtbreads Live Member
in General 7 karma

I'm currently in the middle of the course curriculum and have gotten a few (too many) questions wrongs on some of the drills and practice questions in the middle of the lessons. I've reattempted some LG drills consecutively because I wanted to drill in the inferences that I've failed to make before. Although I've noticed improvement in my time and accuracy with each new clean attempt, I'm worried that this is only because I have been working on the same game with only an hour break in between, and I'm getting the question right only because I've seen the question and correct answer before. In other words, I'm worried that my studying method is not the most optimal use of my time and resources because I think I've memorized the specific games and rules by rote memorization rather than learning how to make inferences faster for new games on tests.

While I mostly focused on the instance for LG, I was wondering if I should have a longer cool down period of revisiting the same drills for other practice sections and drills too. I'll try to revisit them again after a week or so, but I'm also worried that I just don't have a lot of time for the upcoming test in October ;-;

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I typically complete a game, then if I didn't get all of the questions right or didn't complete it under the target time I'll watch the explanation video then attempt it again. After that, I'll attempt it once the next day then one more time a week later. If you're attempting at least one or two new games a day, then you'll quickly be doing multiple games a day, every day (because you'll be doing new games for the day, plus the games from the day before, and any games you attempted a week before). This method allows you to move through new material quickly but also review older material in a systematic way.

The last thing I'll add: if I still mess a game up when I attempt it a week later, I make note of that and return to that game weekly until I get all the questions correct under the target time. Then, I'll return to it again a few weeks later to make sure I haven't forgotten the game's approach and inferences.