Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement Topic Help

mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
edited August 2023 in Law School Admissions 503 karma

I am currently drafting multiple diversity statements with different topics to prepare for my law school applications here in the fall. As of right now, I have a few different topics that I'm considering to write about and would love to get other peoples opinion on the topics.

Background Information:
- I'm a minority (African American/white)
- First generation college student
- Identify with a low socioeconomic class
- Became a caregiver for my step-parent, who is now disabled due to Covid-19 complications, while I was in undergrad

For the first three bullets, I could easily compile these issues into one essay with a good story. However, I feel like the topics may be a little generic. I'm really leaning towards my fourth bullet point. I've heard that admissions are kind of over reading essay about Covid-19, however, I think I could write my most compelling essay with this story. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on, 1. whether this would be considered a diversity factor and 2. should I focus my essay on points 1-3 or on point 4.

Thanks!

Comments

• jameelyusuf1994jameelyusuf1994 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

I think points 2 and 3 would be good. 4 would make sense if you had a low ugrad gpa. I would write on points 2 and 3 and explain how those circumstances have informed your decision to pursue law school.

• aapierce03aapierce03 Alum Member
    21 karma

While COVID stories are probably overdone, I wouldn't shy away from it just because it's cliche. Maybe you could tie this story into a passion for medical or disability advocacy. If you'll still be a caregiver while in law school, that could be a very compelling narrative. Regardless, I would keep the first three points and perhaps connect it to "why law/why what type of law" and something you may have said in your personal statement.

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    503 karma

@jameelyusuf1994 thank you! I didn't consider writing about point 4 from that perspective and I think that could definitely be beneficial to my application.

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    503 karma

@aapierce03 thank you!! I appreciate your response and will definitely consider that.