Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necessary Assumption... WHAT??

vd290110vd290110 Live Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at Necessary Assumption Questions... It is the most complicated thing for me. Thank you so much!!

Comments

• dogmadaddydogmadaddy Alum Member
    58 karma

Think of them as Must Be True question types. If you negate them, the whole argument should crumble. For example:

I should buy pizza tonight for dinner because it's Monday and I always eat pizza for dinner on Monday.

Necessary assumption: I have the money to buy pizza.

If I negate this assumption (I do not have the money to buy pizza), my whole argument falls apart. How am I supposed to buy pizza if I don't have the money? In order for this argument to work, it has to be the case that I have money to buy the pizza. In other words, it must be true.

So, just approach them as Must Be True and you will also be able to eliminate a ton of lousy answer choices that certainly don't have to be true for the argument to work. Identifying the right one will also be much easier.

• vd290110vd290110 Live Member
    52 karma

@dogmadaddy
    WOW!! This has helped me so so much. I went from literally missing all or only getting one correct to only missing 1-2 on the drill sets!! Thank you so so so much!! Thank you!!

• MEHCAM190MEHCAM190 Live Member
    105 karma

I dont know, I wanna agree with you but I don't think it always works @dogmadaddy