Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Undergrad Honor Council: A Good Extracurricular?

Does anyone know if being on your college's Honor Council is generally considered a strong extracurricular? I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't found any information about it online. I had a leadership position on W&M's Honor Council, and I was hoping that would stand out a bit on my applications.

Comments

• mikeross39mikeross39 Member
    41 karma

I was on it quite a while back! We've had plenty of alum go on to law school (one of my chairs is at UVA Law right now), but I'm not sure how they used it in their application. My guess is, if you were a leader on it (like a co-chair or something), you have a relationship with the Dean of Students, who can write a strong rec letter.

W&M is one of the few schools, I think, that has a completely student-run honor council. On its own (like a resume line), it won't mean much to admissions deans; if you can talk about it extensively in a statement, that's your opportunity to make it a strong extracurricular. Otherwise, it just shows that you were involved in college and didn't just take classes.

Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more about it.