Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graduating in december, is getting a job as a legal assistant january-august impossible?

elizabethcuranajelizabethcuranaj Core Member
edited October 2023 in Off-topic 11 karma

Hi everyone, im asking for your thoughts and opinions. I graduate with my BA in philosophy in december. Im taking the october and november lsat. I plan on starting law school in august. I really want a job as a legal assistant from january-august. Would a big law firm want a temporary hire? Ive had friends tell me i shouldnt disclose going to law school at all… but that feels icky… like starting a romantic relationship with someone knowing youre moving countries in 8 months.. haha.

Comments

• herleenkaur3herleenkaur3 Live Member
    12 karma

Hi! I did that during undergrad but it wasn't for a big law firm. I did disclose starting law school and it was fine with them. If I were you I'd look at smaller law firms. Or apply for temporary/part time legal assistant jobs.Hope this helps!

• tinacioust-1tinacioust-1 Live Member
    edited October 2023 118 karma

This really depends. I graduated a few years back, but I did just being a paralegal position at a big firm. I did disclose that my plan was to leave for law school next fall, but it's really not bad to not disclose your plans if it's a larger firm. The turnover in a lot of these staff roles is typically high. At my firm, there are quite a few people who openly discuss applying and leaving within the next year. But I would definitely make a decision on whether to disclose based on the firm, and whether or not you need/want connections with the people there (firms may remember you and you don't want a bad rep with people who may be your peers in the future). I personally did not mind being passed over for the position I'm in now, because I had other offers and did not want to deal with bad blood. tldr; Just remember that a lot of these larger firms are/will not be as generous with you or with keeping your best interests in mind, so always look out for yourself! If that means keeping the fact you will likely leave in a few months for law school to yourself, then that's what it means imo.