Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take the LSAT in January?

ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member

Hey, y’all. I took the August LSAT and scored a 140. I was shooting for a 157. I thought I could rope LSAT prep into my schedule this semester, but it hasn’t worked. I’m planning on ramping studying back up November 1 for about an hour a day and then ramp it up even more when I’m home during break. My question is should I take it again in January or should I give myself more time? I’m looking to start law school in the fall of 2024. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• caitlinhartman89-1caitlinhartman89-1 Live Member
    58 karma

Hi! I don't know if I can give any advice, but want to say that I was in the same boat as you this time last year. I have a high GPA, great LORs, PS, etc, but I believed that my LSAT score would bring me down. I decided to study for another year and am re-taking the LSAT in Nov. I believe that a high LSAT will bring me more opportunities (and scholarship $$) than if I had applied last year with a very low score. I chose to wait until the next cycle so I could spend more time studying - and re-take the test once I truly felt ready. I was working full time and had nothing to lose if I waited another year. So, I can't offer you advice but I will offer you support for whatever you choose to do!

• ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
    106 karma

That definitely helps!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    797 karma

Take it when your PT average is where you want to score on the real test. If you get to a 157 by January, which is definitely possible with effective studying, then I see no reason to wait!

• ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
    106 karma

That's where I need to start. I actually haven't taken a PT at all yet. I'm kind of just doing the drills and working on them until I understand it and it clicks, but I'll start there. Thanks!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    797 karma

@ev2k1 said:
    That's where I need to start. I actually haven't taken a PT at all yet. I'm kind of just doing the drills and working on them until I understand it and it clicks, but I'll start there. Thanks!

Sounds good! I'd recommend picking a day every week in which you take a PT so you are getting familiar with timing and test fatigue. You have plenty of time, so don't feel like you need to rush either.