Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did you all start taking PT's say once or twice a week?

jc333333jc333333 Live Member
in General 109 karma

I have been studying for about three weeks now and feel like it is still slightly ineffective to take a PT each week this early and would benefit more from getting through most of the lessons initially. I took two diagnostics so far and feel as though not having really viewed each section, yet my score is most likely not going to improve. I know the benefits of blind review but would have to imagine taking a test each week after not enough practice is not going to yield as much growth opportunity as studying for maybe the first month or so. By the way I have a target test date of April but may push to June depending on how I am scoring on PTs when I get closer to that date.

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2245 karma

I completed the 7Sage core curriculum in its entirety and drilled the logic games from PTs 1-35 before I began taking weekly PTs. I often drilled problem sets or entire sections from older tests while I completed the curriculum, but I didn't see much value in taking full practice tests when I hadn't even exposed myself to all of the LSAT's concepts yet. While I understand the argument that getting used to taking PTs early in your studies can be beneficial because you'll build stamina and get more comfortable with taking PTs, I always figured I'd take enough full tests after completing the CC and drilling logic games for it not to matter much by the time I sat for the real thing.

I don't think it would hurt, and could probably help some, for you to take occasional practice tests while learning the "ins and outs" of the test. As I mentioned above, though I chose not to, I see the value in it. I don't think you need to do it weekly, though. I think biweekly would be more than frequent enough, especially since blind reviewing will probably take up a good amount of time while you're still learning the test. Additionally, I'd advise against you taking the newest PTs while you're in the early stages of PTing. They're the most useful resources you have, and I don't think you'd be able to extract their full value while you're still learning the test. I'd stick with older tests, as they're still useful, and since your main focus will be on getting a feel for the test, they'll do just as well as newer PTs.

My opinion is by no means authoritative, of course, but I hope this helps some!

• jc333333jc333333 Live Member
    109 karma

Thanks Matt, this is a big help!

• isa-car3isa-car3 Live Member
    20 karma

Jacob, I was wondering the same thing so you’re question and Matt’s answer is very helpful. I’m wondering what your study schedule is like since your goal test is quite a ways out. I’m trying to determine for myself if my test date is too ambitious. Thanks!

• jc333333jc333333 Live Member
    109 karma

Hey Isa, I am studying anywhere from 2-4 hours a day basically 6-7 days a week. I also work full time so that is somewhat flexible.