Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does 7SAGE take the lowest of 2 LRs when calculating scores?

gurchit.chathagurchit.chatha Core Member
in General 24 karma

When we take a 4-part test on 7SAGE and it calculates our score, does the platform automatically take the lower of the 2 LR scores, does it flip 50/50 between them, or does it already have one already programmed as the experimental?

Finding that my score falls a lot when I do poorly on one LR section but great on the other, which makes me think its automatically taking the lesser of the two LR sections.

Would love to have this clarified. Thanks!

Comments

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Core Member
    48 karma

If you take a 4 part it gives you a "scaled score" (I believe that's what the term is referring to anyway). To my knowledge it does not average them together or drop either section, but rather it sorta extrapolates what your score would have been if all 4 sections were graded (as if it was a 100 question test rather than a 75).

I'm unsure if this is a new feature, a feature only availble for the newest tests, or one I just didnt notice, but after taking one of the most recent prep tests I noticed that 7sage told me which one of them was the experimental section. How they know that, I have no idea, but on those tests you can calculate your own "real" score yourself.

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited November 2023 1436 karma

@"gurchit.chatha" said:
    When we take a 4-part test on 7SAGE and it calculates our score, does the platform automatically take the lower of the 2 LR scores, does it flip 50/50 between them, or does it already have one already programmed as the experimental?

Finding that my score falls a lot when I do poorly on one LR section but great on the other, which makes me think its automatically taking the lesser of the two LR sections.

Would love to have this clarified. Thanks!

If you take PrepTests 1 to 89 using the Legacy version please note that these tests are in the "old" style LSAT that has 4 scored sections (2 LRs, 1 RC, and 1 LG) and 1 experimental section. The experimental section is not included when these tests were released by LSAC so if you take all sections, all of those 4 sections will be scored.

If you take it using the "Current" version, it will skip the second LR section and you will only get a score for 3 sections (1 LG, 1 RC, 1 LR)

@"nicholas.leon96" said:
    I'm unsure if this is a new feature, a feature only availble for the newest tests, or one I just didnt notice, but after taking one of the most recent prep tests I noticed that 7sage told me which one of them was the experimental section. How they know that, I have no idea, but on those tests you can calculate your own "real" score yourself.

PrepTests 90, 91, 92, 93 and 94 is in the modern LSAT format that has 3 scored section and 1 variable experimental section (can be either LR, RC, or LG). The variable experimental section (when the test was administered by LSAC) is automatically excluded from your score.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• gurchit.chathagurchit.chatha Core Member
    edited November 2023 24 karma

@"Cherry - Student Service" / @"nicholas.leon96"

I see! So for PT 1 to 89, the scoring system is counting both, so a more "realistic" score when taking PT 1 to 89 relative to how today operates would be either A. selecting the lower of the two LRs for safety, or B. flipping 50/50 between the two LRs. Thanks for clarifying!

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1436 karma

@"gurchit.chatha" said:

I see! So for PT 1 to 89, the scoring system is counting both, so a more "realistic" score when taking PT 1 to 89 relative to how today operates would be either A. selecting the lower of the two LRs for safety, or B. flipping 50/50 between the two LRs. Thanks for clarifying!

You can also use our Modern LSAT Score Estimator which is based on having the same raw-to-scaled conversion table, but scored as though there was only one LR section (one half of the usual amount) with the raw score scaled up to account for the reduction in the number of questions. Because no one outside of LSAC knows how the scoring will actually be done, this is just an educated guess.

• polar.robepolar.robe Live Member
    16 karma

@"Cherry - Student Service" said:

@"gurchit.chatha" said:

You can also use our Modern LSAT Score Estimator which is based on having the same raw-to-scaled conversion table, but scored as though there was only one LR section (one half of the usual amount) with the raw score scaled up to account for the reduction in the number of questions. Because no one outside of LSAC knows how the scoring will actually be done, this is just an educated guess.

How does 7Sage decide which LR section to drop? Would it take the easier/more difficult section or is it completely random?

edited February 27 1436 karma

@"polar.robe" The second LR section is the section that will always be skipped.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

• polar.robepolar.robe Live Member
    16 karma

@"Cherry - Student Service" said:
    @"polar.robe" The second LR section is the section that will always be skipped.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you!