Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to increase the speed?

ZoeLi330ZoeLi330 Live Member
in General 9 karma

Hi, I'm a new starter for LSAT - having read the Trainer, and started the courses and drills on 7Sage about a week ago.

I am a bit frustrated by the time pressure, cuz every guidebook tells you to complete certain steps when solving the questions, e.g. read the stem, stimulus, and the answers, then anticipate, eliminate and confirm the right answer, etc. But, however willing I am to complete all these steps, there's simply not enough time for me even just to read everything, not to mention the reasoning process, with RC especially so.

I'm not sure if this is the same for every new beginner, or more challenging for me as a non-native speaker - my job is an interpreter and I'm doing okay, so I would assume my language skills are not the biggest problem.

Are there any tips for me to increase my speed, the reading speed and the overall speed? Is such frustration over time pressure a common process for any new starter? How do you overcome it or improve on it please?

Please help!!! Many many thanks!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

Speed is largely a product of mastery. Having just started, focus on acquiring the core skills first. Trying to force speed now does no good because to be frank, you don’t know what you’re doing yet. You have to correct and slow before you can be correct and fast.

• ZoeLi330ZoeLi330 Live Member
    9 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Speed is largely a product of mastery. Having just started, focus on acquiring the core skills first. Trying to force speed now does no good because to be frank, you don’t know what you’re doing yet. You have to correct and slow before you can be correct and fast.

Hi, many thanks for your help! I just took the first diagnostic test yesterday and felt terrible under time pressure.

Do you think it's better postpone timed practice and focus on the foundations first? I had thought it was suggested to start timed test earlier. But if not, when do you think it's the best time to start it? After I complete all the standard courses on 7Sage? Or are there any other indicators?

May I have your ideas on this please? Thank you!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

Don’t worry about PTs until you’ve completed the core curriculum. The problem sets provide timing exposure.

I had thought it was suggested to start timed test earlier.

Where is this suggested?

• ZoeLi330ZoeLi330 Live Member
    9 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Don’t worry about PTs until you’ve completed the core curriculum. The problem sets provide timing exposure.

I had thought it was suggested to start timed test earlier.

Where is this suggested?

I don't remember exactly where... on some forum perhaps. It's good to know that no need to start it now, cuz I am really frustrated over the time issue.

I'll just be patience and prioritize the correctness over everything else for this stage.

Many many thanks for your help!!! Happy New Year!!!