Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

January LSAT

dcolema1dcolema1 Live Member

I took the lsat in november and this was my first time taking the lsat and I didn't really study that much maybe a couple of weeks. I got a 135 on the november lsat and after seeing my low lsat score I was eager to see with a couple months of studying would I make a huge jump or improvement before taking the January lsat. The test is in a couple weeks and I am overwhelmed with studying. I am a senior in college and the semester especially with midterms and finals have taken away some of my actual study time from prepping for the january lsat. I have taken a couple practice test and I still seem to be getting 135 on them and not really improving. I am at a crossroads because I wanted to see if I could get at least a 150 on this January lsat to get into this law school in my area this cycle. I feel like if it doesn't happen now I will not pursue it after I graduate this spring from undergrad. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jinxuan WuJinxuan Wu Live Member
    edited December 2023 32 karma

The best case scenario imo is to take a GAP year after you graudate. Of course, that is if you are still committed by then. Since there is barely anytime left until the Jan test and in order to get accepted into a law school you would need to get at least a 144-145 (according to the internet). And i would also suggest to change up your studying methods since it seems like what you are doing right now isn't working. I would still take the Jan test and put more thoughts into this after the score releases! I will also be taking the Jan test, good luck on your journey!

• dcolema1dcolema1 Live Member
    edited December 2023 56 karma

Thank you for your feedback I truly appreciate it. I will try to make these changes in my study methods to see if I can see some improvement within the next couple of weeks. Best of luck to you on the January lsat. Thank you again @"Jinxuan Wu"

• sunpreetgill73-1-1sunpreetgill73-1-1 Alum Member
    46 karma

I was once in the same boat as you. I realized my score was not increasing because what I was doing clearly wasnt working. This time, I have utilized all my resources and am now scoring in the 160s. You should use all resources on the internet including youtube to search for lessons if you still dont understand. Another thing- when you drill and you get even one answer wrong- redo until you get perfect. I swear this method helped a lot. Good luck!

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    655 karma

For most people studying for the LSAT is a marathon, not a sprint. Have this mindset moving forward. Your score indicates a struggle with the fumdamentals. Commit to improving that. I suggest going through the Core Curriculum slowly with a focus on understanding and accuracy when drilling (hold off on PTs). Don't skip anything. Drilling will not only improve your score in the long run but also boost your confidence and motivation along the way.

With that said, I saw in another post that you were concerned about your LSAC GPA and that you are graduating in Spring 2024. I recommend maxing your GPA in your last semester to help bump your LSAC GPA. You can't improve that GPA after you graduate but you can always improve your LSAT score afterward. Sometimes we have to adjust the timeline of our goals. I've had to do this many times in life. However, when it's something I really want, I don't change the goal, I adjust the timeline and keep going. Best wishes! You can do this!

• dcolema1dcolema1 Live Member
    56 karma

Thank you both @LivinLaVidaLSAT and @sunpreetgill73-1-1 for the feedback and sharing your words of wisdom and advice to me I truly appreciate it seriously. I will take these recommendations and apply them. This means a lot to me, thank you both again. I will come back to this post in a couple weeks after I take my lsat and update you all.

• atone1358atone1358 Core Member
    3 karma

Hi all, I'm a mature student - 34 years old with two kids hoping to go back to school for a new career now that my kids are a bit older. I started studying for the LSAT in September and wrote both the November 2023 and January 2024. In November I scored a 151 but to get into the school in my area I think I'll need closer to a 160. I was hoping to get closer in the January sitting, but the format totally threw me. My January LSAT was RC-LR-RC-LG.

Since September I've done at least 20 PTs and not a single one of them had two RC sections (all had two LRs). I never felt like RC was super learnable for me, so instead I focused almost all my study efforts on LG and LR. Cue in-exam freak out.

So my question - truly how common is the double RC possibility? If I decide to write again, should I be prepared for that? I actually had no idea that was even a possible format. Am I off base in feeling that way or did I just miss something?

• urielb98urielb98 Member
    9 karma

@atone1358 even if you get rc twice,only one of them is graded