Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i wait until the next round of applications to apply to law school?

Tahlia CTahlia C Live Member

hi everyone, I explained in my last question about how i worked with a private tutor at another company and i regrettably got a 140. I cancelled my score and changed to a 7sage tutor. I plan to take my next test in april, but now this sets me back in the admissions process (submitting my applications to a school for a possible scholarship). I'll probably talk to a law advisor anyway, but I want a collection of opinions/possible options.

wait to submit law school applications
  1. should i wait until the next round of applications to apply for fall 2025?40 votes
    1. yes
      90.00%
    2. no
      10.00%

Comments

• Hope WyattHope Wyatt Live Member
    38 karma

I pushed my applications back to take a gap year because my scores are not where I want them and neither are finances. I think that each cycle is dynamic and with changes in requirements, testing, and the admissions process it's better to see how this cycle plays out and adapts.

• adelaidewilderadelaidewilder Live Member
    3 karma

I am also considering pushing my application cycle back a year. I've already submitted apps which are on hold in hopes of a better score coming from this month's LSAT, but I don't believe it's meant to be. Consequently, I've been looking at all the benefits that will come from retaking and reapplying next cycle. For one, you can really hammer away on studying, and possibly come thru with a high enough score that it will win you (significant) scholarships. Working towards a better score might also get you into multiple schools. Even if you are set on one particular school now, you might end up coveting that flexibility next year. Finally, it's never a bad idea to work in the field or a related field before taking on an endeavour of this size. If you are looking for work, try getting in at a law firm as a paralegal or in another capacity. That might help you with some connections and experience. Lastly, taking the extra time to reflect on what you want out of your legal studies might enable you to hone in on what areas interest you. Personally, I'm straddling labour and intellectual property, and am developing project ideas that I would actually like to explore while at school, where extra guidance is available.

On the personal side, it's been a hard few years. I can't say whether things will get easier, but if they do, I will be happy to have a year off (relatively speaking) to enjoy it.

Hopefully this perspective helps! Ultimately, only you know what will be best for you, but I hope whatever you choose works out :-)