Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are my chances?

I'm applying for the Fall 2024 cycle, and was hoping to get input / commentary on my likelihood for admissions to T14 schools and/or considerations of how schools will view my profile. Below includes my stats and backgrounds below:

3.6 GPA (GPA suffered from working 30+ hrs junior year, 3.1, to support a tragic family emergency; noted in addendum)
170 LSAT (especially difficult while working 60+ hrs per week)
First Generation College Student
6-years work experience in demanding roles (60+ hrs of management consulting and software work)

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

Unfortunately not great, though better if you are a URM. Ideally get your LSAT up. Failing that, invest in your essays and apply broadly... I'd expand beyond the T14. Your numbers aren't bad and work experience is great, but below median is below median. That's a heavy lift for the rest of your app.

• matisonsmith4matisonsmith4 Core Member
    35 karma

I disagree if you write an addendum for your GPA explaining your circumstances that will help. In addition the work experience is something that does help your application, they typically will like life experience.

• SP_LSAT21SP_LSAT21 Member
    8 karma

@canihazJD - is URM on the basis of ethnicity / race still relevant for the application process? Would being a first generation college student entail being a URM (e.g. parent's highest-level being high school)?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited January 18 8460 karma

@SP_LSAT21 said:
    @canihazJD - is URM on the basis of ethnicity / race still relevant for the application process?

Yes

Would being a first generation college student entail being a URM (e.g. parent's highest-level being high school)?

No, though it would likely still be a favorable fact.

Also to the preceding comment, addendums are great for explaining anomalies that would otherwise leave an app reader with questions and provide a nice opportunity to succinctly exhibit your writing and additional facets of your background. But having (1) worked with admissions offices, (2) friends who are/were admissions officers, and (3) helped dozens of applicants compose applications, I'd advise against any illusions that an addendum is going to carry sub-median stats to an admit. Is that always true? Of course not. Might they carry the day for the right app reader? Sure... but don't bet on it.

Admissions are a business, and stats are by no means dispositive but they typically control. No one is saying, "oh, this person has an excuse for their low GPA/LSAT so lets take the hit." A better strategy IMO is to use circumstances that contribute to low numbers as positive events to relate your strengths... ideally coupled with a higher LSAT score.