Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Panic after preptest

KbrizzleKbrizzle Member
edited August 2015 in General 22 karma
So, my LSAT story is that I basically started studying on and off last summer. I finally decided to commit to the October LSAT this year and got really serious about studying this summer. My original, cold diagnostic was a 155. I have used the LGB and self-studied. Panic soon set in, and I decided to sign up for a 7Sage course. I love it so far, but I just took the June '07 test and scored a 146 and a 149 on BR. So far in my 7Sage curriculum, I have been through general lessons like intro to arguments and grammar.

How lost of a cause am I? At this point I don't even know if law is for me if I can't even improve after studying. Do I just keep going through the 7Sage course?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @Kbrizzle said:
    I don't even know if law is for me if I can't even improve after studying.
    I'd first address your motivation issues, and then if you're still motivated to go to law school, the first thing you need to realize is that you haven't really studied yet if you weren't using the right tools. So burn the powerscore and whatever other junk you were using before and get to work with the 7Sage curriculum and forget about your diagnostic because it's just a baseline and nothing more.

If you already signed up for the October test I would cancel immediately. Depending on your goals you are borderline for December or February so I wouldn't pay to change tests at this point, I think you need to cancel and focus on the learning process. If that means June/October 2016 administrations then so be it. If you solved the motivation problem this should not be an issue, because at this point you are only doing yourself a disservice by taking an LSAT when you aren't remotely ready.

Also, a 3 point timed/BR spread suggest to me that you did the BR on the copy of the test you took. I used to do this and it basically will never get you much more than a 3-5 point differential since you're fighting ego to change your original answer. So whatever you use to take PTs, make copies and BR a clean copy with a list of the questions you circled on the timed PT. Of course, that's down the road several months, but keep that in mind before you start blowing through clean PTs.

Also, a 3 point spread sounds like you have a long way to go in developing your fundamentals. So spend a couple months minimum on the curriculum before even attempting another PT. If you have any questions as you go through feel free to hit us up anytime because we are here to help. The biggest thing you need to do right now is just relax and reassess your goals and understand what it will actually take to get there. Good luck!
  • KbrizzleKbrizzle Member
    22 karma
    Thanks for the quick response @Pacifico !

To be honest, I don't think I have motivation problems. As corny as it sounds there is nothing more I want to do more in my life than be a lawyer. I made that comment because the LSAT makes me feel so stupid and unworthy but I'm going to do it anyway and I'm going to law school if getting a 166+ kills me. Or takes 10 years. I don't care.

I did do my BR on the same test, and in hindsight I completely see what you're saying about an ego battle! Lesson learned.

I'm still really excited to jump into this course. Maybe this was the wake up call I needed.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    @Kbrizzle that's the right mentality and I'm right there with you man! In terms of the diagnostic don't sweat it too much. Mine was a 143 and my highest score when I studied for the December 2013 LSAT was a 171. It's not easy, but with the right mentality and drive it is deffinitely doable. As @Pacifico said, don't hesitate to hit anybody up. We're all here to help each other in our learning experiences.
  • KbrizzleKbrizzle Member
    22 karma
    Thanks guys. As long as it's not impossible I'll do it.