Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review Process (PT stage)

MatthewJAMatthewJA Alum Member
in General 52 karma
Hello sagers.

I have begun my journey of taking strictly-timed PTs and am currently working away at the BR (PT 41). I have some questions in which I would appreciate some insight on, regarding the BR process and, how I can become more efficient during the BR process in terms of time-management, proper strategy, and utilizing this time effectively so that improvements occur!

As stated, I just finished PT 41 and have been BR'ing for the past hour and a half. I am just finishing Section 1 (LR) of that test, and am wondering what the "right balance" of searching for the perfect answer (or getting every answer correct) and pushing through to complete the BR process in a more practical manor, with the context in mind that I am not at a very strong point in my understanding of the test. I have completed the majority of the curriculum, and have attempted at least 1 of the PS for each QT. I found I got bogged down in the curriculum at times and, in an effort to stay focused and positive, I moved on to the next section of the curriculum without completing every PS.

Even though I felt my timing has improved a little bit (compared to diagnostic and 2 other PTs I have taken) I recognize that my fundamentals are still not yet developed to the point where I understand exactly: what type of question I am attacking; what I am looking for in the right answer, and perhaps most importantly - why the other 4 answers choices are wrong. Essentially, the BR process so far, feels as if I am merely taking another PT (without the time restrictions obviously) where I am relying on a whole lot of intuition, and not really understanding what the question wants.

My plan is at this point, to complete my BR which seems will take more like 6 hours (seems a lot), and then really focus in on the video explanations tomorrow of the incorrect questions (there will be many). After about 5 PTs I was going to take a look back at the analytics, and really start focusing in on what questions (if not all) I can improve on more so than others, while also going back over the PS' of Logic Games provided in the curriculum that I have both completed, and have yet to complete.

To conclude, I ask if I am overdoing it with the BR at this process? Should I break it up into a 2 day review, instead of PT - break - BR/videos? I acknowledge that it is perhaps the most important part of the development process, so is there a better strategy I can use? I'm thinking of drilling question types every mourning, and reviewing the notes I have on different question types and how to attack them - do you think this would benefit my growth? I appreciate all the help and insight provided; please PM me if that works better. At the end of the day, I am not feeling like the BR is helping me grow, and would love to hear about how I can change that! Thanks everybody.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Did you circle questions during the timed PT? If not, you really need to do that to build up your confidence and see what your true weaknesses are. In the beginning you might circle 40 questions, but eventually you want to get this down to 5-10 or less when you're coming up on the real test. The more questions you circle, obviously the longer it will take. But I would also caution you to embrace the importance of BR as a learning/teaching process and not simply a "find the right answer" session.

Also, you should use a clean copy of the test to BR so you don't fight against yourself to pick a different answer. It will dramatically increase your BR. As far as scheduling goes, just do whatever works best for you, and I wouldn't waste time on videos for questions you get right timed or on BR unless you just guessed and/or really don't understand what's going on.

Good BR should be slow and methodical. Quality over quantity means that slow and steady wins the race here.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    edited August 2015 456 karma
    I would say that a BR probably shouldn't be that painful. You might need to go back and work more on fundamentals, and specifically more timed drilling. I'd say there's no harm in doing a couple more PT's with BR though after this first one, just to get a better feel for the test as a whole. Doing so will only help you learn more if you do end up going back to timed drilling/Jy's Lessons in the course syllabus.

Also it wouldn't hurt to spread out the BR. I personally tend to do a much more thorough BR when I break it out over two days. My brain can only take so much LSAT.
  • MatthewJAMatthewJA Alum Member
    edited August 2015 52 karma
    @Pacifico, thanks for the reply. I did circle on my PT scan-tron, and I am more at the 60-80 circle level. I also have been attempting my BR on a fresh scan-tron sheet to avoid any bias as well. I understand the BR is a learning process, but again, I feel as if perhaps the tools in the curriculum have yet to be really mastered, and am questioning whether it is best to keep pushing through the BR, while reviewing past lessons (in curriculum), focusing on mastering LG, and watching the videos of the questions I got wrong or, do some other strategy to improve.

I am planning to push forward, and perhaps cherry pick lessons from the curriculum, and chapters in the trainer - which I can use to improve my understanding of the fundamentals. I am also going to get in on these BR skype calls. Just wanted to know if there was any thoughts on how to be more effective in this important stage. I have committed to the long-haul approach, yet still want to be as efficient as possible!
  • MatthewJAMatthewJA Alum Member
    52 karma
    @GordonBombay, thanks for the reply. I agree that perhaps I will need to go over the curriculum again, or at least parts of it. I found out tonight that spreading out the BR over 2 days will also be necessary and of more benefit to me as well. The journey continues!

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If your LG isn't up to par yet, I'd say get it there since you're just leaving points on the table. If you haven't seen it previously, check out my strategy guide for LG: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

If your LG is on point and you've been through the curriculum, then I think at least 5 PTs is the best way to start to build some analytics rather than just doing random LR review with no real focus. Do you not write on the test at all? I feel like you could still tell what answer you chose if you're not using a clean copy of the actual test. I don't even bother with scantron for BR, I just write the numbers I circled on a blank sheet of paper and then write down my new selection while I review the clean copy on my computer. I went through the curriculum and probably only used ~5 problem sets because I worked hard to develop an understanding in the video questions and only touched a problem set if I was still totally lost. My intent was to save them for targeted drilling later on as the need arose. So don't worry about having them left over, that's a good thing.

The best way to be effective is to invest the time in your BR. If it takes you a week right now to BR, then so be it. But it's a much better tool to improve than pretty much anything else. Also, as you progress, you really need to back off the 100% certainty metric a bit and be confident with say 90% certainty so that you're circling less questions. Eventually you'll find a sweet spot where you're not circling half the test but you're minimizing confidence errors at the same time.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @MatthewJA said:
    I ask if I am overdoing it with the BR at this process?
    Yes.

Only watch the videos for Q's you're not able to nail down on BR. If you still have questions/don't understand a Q, then watch the video. The videos are a resource, not just another multi-hour box to check!