Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Master Logic Games: stumble through or give up and watch JY's explanation?

markmywordsmarkmywords Core Member
edited March 7 in Logic Games 243 karma

I've read if you want to master logic games, best practice is to model your logical process after JY's by watching the videos to build the same mental processes he employs.
So normally when I get stumped on a game I head to the video explanation. But on a particular game (PT33, game 3) I was able to do it without video, but it took me 30+ minutes. Is there value in struggling through a game like that? Or is it better to cut right to the video? I'm to the point where I rarely have to rely on the videos, so I was feeling stubborn and knew I could do it. Wdyt?
Edited to add, I got them all correct! Just took awhile.

Comments

• daniel__daniel__ Live Member
    edited March 8 39 karma

I would try to finish the game like you did, but if something is taking too long, I wouldn't feel bad about jumping to the explanation. You improve from taking time figuring things out. This improvement dimishes rapidly as time spent on a problem goes on. So I think you did the right thing.

The big question to ask yourself is, "Why did I take so long?" Was it a specific question, general confusion about the game, or were you just slow that day? Usually when I spend too much time on a game, it's because I either spent too much time over-solving what turned to be a simple question or I got stuck on one tough question when I should have moved on.

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Alum Member
    374 karma

I go as far as possible on my own then I unpause the video to help
    Me understand better. That way, I don’t waste too much time doing it (possibly) the wrong way.

• jiwoonyoon.sgjiwoonyoon.sg Core Member
    92 karma

I think you should do both, and that was my approach! That helps compare your method to JY's, which in turn will fill you in on what you're doing right/wrong and the strategies you could newly employ. And you are absolutely not wasting time in struggling to do it on your own, that's the most valuable part of your learning.

• markmywordsmarkmywords Core Member
    243 karma

That's actually really good point/question @daniel__ ! I'm definitely going back today to answer these q's for myself. thanks for your input

• markmywordsmarkmywords Core Member
    243 karma

It felt very valuable, but I second guessed myself because of the time it took. Thanks for your comment and validation. Needed that! @"jiwoonyoon.sg"