Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Readers Block

PMLSAT83PMLSAT83 Alum Member
in General 124 karma
Hi everyone,

I've been a 7Sager for quite sometime but just the quiet type. I've been studying on an off for this test for over 18 months now, juggling work and study just as many of you are. During this last stretch I've been performing my best: BRs in high 170s and timed PTs in the high 160s. but, I have a huge problem that i can't seem to control. During the course of preparing for this test I've noticed that as i pick up the pace with studying, i start to develop a situation where, I could read the same sentence ten times and not understand a word. It's almost as if someone turns of a switch in my brain and i go dark. when this happens, everything suffers: RC, LR, LG. I'm still able to BR pretty high but my timed PTs are horrible. I've tried reading hobby related material or something not LSAT involved but the trend follows.

This test surely brings out the best and worst of me.

If anyone out there could offer some advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

PM

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Stop rereading because it his highly likely that very little hinges on one sentence. You are essentially on a walk through a forest and find yourself getting distracted by staring at a single tree and then you never make it out of the forest and you die there. Think of how silly that is. You need to just keep going. In RC you need to make it through four forests and if that tree you obsess over is in the first one then you're screwing yourself. The last three forests were super simple to navigate but how would you know if your corpse is rotting in the first one? If you read something twice and still don't get it, more is not going to help because your brain is starting to shut down. I've had whole passages I was like WTF after reading and then I allowed the questions to draw me the map.
  • PMLSAT83PMLSAT83 Alum Member
    124 karma
    Thanks. I'll try to push through and see if that helps.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    It also sounds like you're not entirely present during reading. When you start thinking about how you're reading and judging yourself for not remembering everything correctly you're only exacerbating the problem. The LSAT is hard enough when you're fully focused; doing it with only have of your mental capacity is near impossible.

Try giving meditation a try. You should be able to lock back in once you make it a part of your everyday routine. The associated health benefits are worth the time, too.