Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp. Unfamiliar Vocabulary

jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
in General 187 karma
Good morning,
I'm currently working on reading comp untimed. Just to focus on accuracy. For each passage I get -2 or -1. I find myself spending time on questions such as the "author's attitude" with unfamilar vocabulary. I usually take a dictionary out to define the word. Right now I'm not focused on timing. But there has to be a better way to get through reading comp without a dictionary. Plus, I won't have this option test day.. lol Please help !!!!!!!!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Audiobooks/podcasts for passive learning across the spectrum of subject matter.

If English is not your first language then that's really one of the only times I recommend reading generally recommended materials like The Economist, Wall Street Journal, New Yorker, etc.

Other than that just remember that most of the time you are being tested on knowledge of commonly used words and how they can interact with one another. Rather than using a dictionary right away, during the timed test and again on the BR try to use context clues to figure out the meanings of words because it will develop this skill much better than just looking up a word.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    Good word to know that has been used on multiple LSATs:

idiosyncratic

adjective
    pertaining to the nature of idiosyncrasy, or something peculiar to an individual:
    The best minds are idiosyncratic and unpredictable as they follow the course of scientific discovery.
  • jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
    187 karma
    Thank you, I reread the Reading Comp section in the Trainer and it mentions the same strategy. @Pacifico. I will try to read the magazines you recommended. The subscriptions are just costly. Any student discounts?
  • jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
    187 karma
    I found student subscriptions @Pacifico. I guess I'll start with the New Yorker. I usually read The atlantic and Huffington Post. Hopefully I will familiarize myself with new vocabulary. Thanks again!