Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is economist cited as best RC prep?

spittingnickelsspittingnickels Live Member

Perhaps the magazine has worked for you, but I find the economist to be very soft reading material and unsatisfactory for RC improvement. For a food analogy, It's like chewing Gerber baby food, when RC passages are like tough sinewy steak.

However, I will say that what seems to work for me is reading philosophy books, in particular books by Daniel dennett. I'm currently reading his book Intuition Pumps, and after reading a few chapters of it, when I do rc passes, I feel myself breezing through them. (I know he's most famous as a new atheist, but his philosophical insights are his most impressive contributions to thought in my opinion).

If you're struggling with RC give him a try. Freedom Evolves, Brainstorms, etc. He has many books from decades of writing. Also, consider that every lsat question you've ever read was written by someone who was either a philosophy PhD or in pursuit of a philosophy phd. The two subjects , LSAT and philosophy, seem to be almost the same thing. Best luck to all, keep studying!

Comments

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    edited July 9 322 karma

I agree. The Economist is definitely a higher brow than most popular news outlets, but it's nothing crazy, especially if you enjoy reading high-level philosophy stuff. Like I can't say I'd put a given Economist article on the same plane as some of the denser science or law RC passages.

I think the main reason people point to it is that it's easy to build a habit of reading the news everyday, so you might as well read something with a slightly higher vocabulary/sentence structure as other outlets.

Thanks for the pointer on Dennett!