PT156.S2.Q15 - Does anyone know why

abby_mccormickabby_mccormick Core Member
edited August 1 in Logical Reasoning 20 karma

Does anyone know why A is correct here? There is no explanation video so I'm a little confused.

Admin Note: Edited title. For LR questions, please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."

Comments

• pitch4rkpitch4rk Live Member
    20 karma

I apologize if this response isn't formal in terms of LSAT reasoning- I tend to figure things out more intuitively. But here's my breakdown:

Flaw: People would not do something if there was nothing they could gain -> therefore, people gain something GOOD from following the incompetent leaders. There's a disconnect between people gaining something and it being good. We were never told that no matter who they follow, they would be recieving something good. This is just what the argument assumes.

Answer choice A: Insufficiently assumes that something is true- "contains a grain of truth" just based on the fact that people follow things they believe are true. Its the same disconnect as the stimulus. The argument makes an improper assumption about what people are gaining as a result of them following it.

Answer choice B: Incorrect flaw, assumes causation from correlation and attributes the existence of good and bad situations directly to the actions of viscious people without justification.

Answer choice A is more mirrored by the argument's flaw because it relies on a perceived correlation (belief in truth, benefit from following) to assert an objective reality (truth, actual benefit). Choice B attributes causation without evidence and makes a more unjustified conclusion.

Hope this helps!