Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drilling vs. PTing (Short Timeline) - 7Sage Forum

Drilling vs. PTing (Short Timeline)

jackruotolojackruotolo Core Member
edited September 6 in General 11 karma

Need some studying tips on a short timeline.

I’m still going through the rest of the curriculum and then intend to bang out PT tests, but I am taking the LSAT in Oct and probably again in Nov. I’m consistently getting only 2-3 correct on these drills. In reviewing my wrong answers, I fully understand where I erred, but I also don’t have the time to master each of these drill sections (at least I don't think I do).

My current mindset is to try and get through this curriculum, then bang out those PT tests since PT test do not categorize difficulty and question types. I’m worried if I spend too long on the drilling, I will lose sight that the actual tests is completely random in the questions types and difficulties that are chosen.

Any thoughts here are helpful as I orient my studying these last 1-2 months. Thank ya all and good luck.

Drill vs. PT Focus (1-2 months before test)
  1. Drill vs. PT Focus (1-2 months before test)35 votes
    1. Drilling Focus
      54.29%
    2. Practice Test Focus
      45.71%

Comments

• whoisLSADwhoisLSAD Core Member
    16 karma

You're getting 2-3 correct out of how many? The five-question drills in the curriculum?

• cdot9000cdot9000 Live Member
    140 karma

spend time untimed drilling to get used to how to answer each question type, you soon get faster. then start applying that to pt or just taking a section of a pt to refine timing

• firstgen.lawtinafirstgen.lawtina Live Member
    edited September 8 34 karma

Drill! I jumped from a 157 to 168 in the span of 2-3 weeks because of going through the curriculum and drilling! I was super surprised by my jump but it's definitely possible! Drilling and reflection is essential to progress in my opinion!

• b.oshbarkerb.oshbarker Live Member
    12 karma

I would drill every question type without time constraints until you're consistently getting -0/-1 and then start adding time or increasing the difficulty. You really don't want to start taking PT's until you have a good foundational understanding of how to recognize and answer each question type.

• james.lacno9892james.lacno9892 Live Member
    2 karma

@"b.oshbarker" said:
    I would drill every question type without time constraints until you're consistently getting -0/-1 and then start adding time or increasing the difficulty. You really don't want to start taking PT's until you have a good foundational understanding of how to recognize and answer each question type.

I am in the same situation, and I honestly thought that taking the PTs right after the curriculum was best, but this comment changed my mind. I think as long as you are adding timing to your studying, then you are simulating the same thing as a PT--but it might be a bit easier to digest than taking the whole thing at once.

Definitely take a couple of PTs before the actual date, but IMO drilling sounds like the best option for you. Either way, I'm sure that the time constraint is our biggest problem--everyone will always recommend a longer study schedule to the alternative.

• tlpalmer98tlpalmer98 Core Member
    5 karma

Drilling and curriculum lessons are probably more important if you have not mastered the question types. Don't forget to take advantage of blind review though! The curriculum covers this at the end, but I try to bookmark every question that I am not 100% sure why the right answer is right (in other words, taking an educated guess).

Before I score a drill section or PT, I go back over these questions without the timing constraint and see if I can understand why the right answer choice is correct, and each wrong answer choice is incorrect. I use the orange highlighter to specifically highlight the part of the wrong answer that made it incorrect (e.g. using a most quantifier when it should have been all, etc.)

Start untimed, and then gradually add more time constraints. You have to become comfortable with that constant duress of being timed or you will be prone to panic when you take the real thing. This is why the PTs are important too. Pacing really does matter a lot, and so does knowing when to skip a question and come back if you have extra time.

If you can squeeze it in, I would recommend taking 1-3 PTs before October though. It is a grind, but it's very possible to take two PTs in a weekend! You just have to accept that you won't be doing anything else on those days.

Good luck, friend.