Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the word on being a Splitter?

profile427profile427 Alum Member
in General 213 karma
I've been reading a bit lately about the "attractiveness" of splitters. How does being a splitter work in relation to T14 or hey...15-75ish? Does high GPA and lowerish LSAT usually mean waitlist/reject, or can it sometimes mean foot-in-the-door for T14 if you rock your personal statement and other soft stuff?

Comments

• 194 karma
    This is also of interest to me! My projected GPA will be somewhere around 3.7, maybe 3.8 if I kick a**. I know this isn't exactly low but I'm going for T14 so its still around some schools 25th percentile.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Splitters are high LSAT/low GPA and reverse splitters are high GPA/low LSAT. In large part because of the smaller possible distribution of LSAT scores (120-180 versus 0.00-4.33), the medians are harder to protect when it comes to LSAT scores, which is why most schools are more splitter friendly than reverse splitter friendly. Reverse splitters really need to be up there in the 3.9+ range usually to make up for a low LSAT score (sub 160-165 for example in the T14). Splitters, on the other hand, can make up for a sub 3.0 GPA with a 170+ LSAT and sneak their way into several schools in the T14. Of course, if you're a URM then these dynamics are a bit looser than with non-URM applicants. If you have a high GPA there is really no reason to waste that by applying with a low LSAT score. Even if it means taking a year off, getting your LSAT score at least at a school's median will make a huge difference in your outcomes. Splitters were often slackers in college or had mitigating circumstances that prevented them from doing well. In my opinion reverse splitters shouldn't even exist because they already did all that hard work in UG and then waste it by applying with a low LSAT. Take the time to get your LSAT up and it will be a game changer.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    Based off of anecdotal evidence, it seems that there are certain schools that view splitters favorably (Northwestern, Georgetown, etc.), and there are schools which view reverse-splitters favorably (UVA). It really depends on the school though. The top 3 are most likely not an option for splitters or reverse-splitters (non-URM), but many great schools overlook less-than-stellar academic records if there is a long period of time between undergrad and applying to law school (especially if there is substantive work experience and/or military).
  • profile427profile427 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Thanks for clarifying, @Pacifico , reverse splitting.

Can you please expand more on your idea of "waste?" Is it the time/effort in applying? The risk of being waitlisted/rejected? The prospect of crappy scholarship cash?

I'm curious on your perspective on the wastefulness, as I feel that time is of the essence for me since I'm quickly zooming towards mid-30s.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Note: This advice is intended to address realities for non-URM candidates only, though the general thrust of the argument can apply to URMs as well.

The waste I am talking about can apply to all the issues you raised, but it all boils down to the fact that in this legal job market, it is generally in your best interest to go to the best school possible, everything else being equal. Therefore, if you have a GPA that is high enough to all but guarantee admittance to all of the T14 except HYS (which are largely a crapshoot even with the right numbers) given a high enough LSAT score, then you are doing a disservice to your future self by not taking the time to get that higher LSAT score.

Think about it this way: it took you ~4 years to get that GPA, which may or may not have been that difficult depending on your school/major, but you still had to actually show up and do work, which is far more than I did in college. So now you have one of the most important two components of getting into law school. Why would you waste those four years by settling with a 150? Or a 160? Or even a 165? With a 3.8+ you can pretty much guarantee yourself half of the T14 with a 170 since only HYS and Columbia still have medians over 171.

Even if it took you a year to get the score you want/need, that's still only a quarter of all that time you spent getting that GPA! And the difference between a 160 and a 170 is huge if your GPA is that high because that could mean the difference between 1 out of the T14 versus 10 out of the T14, not to mention the greater amount of scholarship money you could get with the higher score, and the better opportunities you would have upon graduating.

If you had a sub 3.0 GPA then the T14 is only accessible with a 169/170+ and even then only a few schools are likely to pick you up (NU/GU most especially). Sure, a 180 will get you most of the bottom half of the T14 even with a terrible GPA, but 50 people or less per year get a 180 so it's not really something to bank on. What you can bank on is your awesome GPA, so don't let all of us splitters down by letting it go to waste because that would just be a shame!