Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help!! Am I doing BR wrong?

175orelse175orelse Alum Member
in General 51 karma
Hi 7sagers,

Background:
I'm signed up for the October tests, and will most likely postpone till December. I finished LR and RC books for Manhattan LSAT, and finished the LR portion of the 7sage curriculum, and went through LG PT 1-35 once, and am going through them again. I took 7 PTs, and got between 160--164. When I blind review, I get 165-168 usually. Sometimes, I get the question right but miss it after BR. I was wondering if I'm doing BR wrong, and how I could start BR'ing to increase PT scores into the 170s. I noticed that some people can score in the mid 160's but after BR score in the mid-170s. I score roughly -4 on LG, and -9 on LR and -7 RC

I have a gpa that allows me to contend for HYS, and would prefer not to settle.

The October test is just under a month away, and it's been extremely discouraging to not even be able to break the upper 160's at this point. I started actually fully studying since roughly the last week of June.

Need all the help and advice I can get!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you are not a URM I would postpone the test immediately since you have only a week to do so and you're going to set yourself up for failure by taking the test before you're scoring consistently where you need to.

That being said, are you doing your BR on the copy of the test you took timed or a clean copy? If it's the former then you need to stop that and start using a clean copy so you aren't fighting your ego to change the answers and can spend time getting intimate with the argument structures in LR and RC. If you are using a clean copy then just keep pushing. 7 PTs is nothing so you have a long way to go since you'll want at least 20-30 under your belt before you even think about sitting for a real administration.

Also your LG score is a little weak for what you're trying to do, so maybe check out this strategy guide to devote some time to shoring that up: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @175orelse said:
    I started actually fully studying since roughly the last week of June.
    You're likely not scoring in that range yet because that is simply not enough time for you. For some of us (like myself) a year or more is necessary. For others, a minimum of 4 months suffices. Emphasis on "for some" (not the majority) and "a minimum of 4 months." Unless you are a true unicorn, you are simply not going to be prepared to score in the 170's without adequate time.

How much time is adequate? However long it takes for you. Probably fewer than 18 months. Likely more than 9. Maybe 6 if you're super lucky (but this is already approaching unicorn territory).

Shout out to all the unicorns ... we know you exist ... but if we were you, we wouldn't be on this forum ...

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    There are Unicorns on this site... I've spotted them... cleverly disguised as Mentors!!!
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    @nicole.hopkins, I've been studying for around 13 months just like you. It does take long time for someone to digest these concept and use them like second nature. For someone who is not Mike Ross, a year is reasonable.
  • 175orelse175orelse Alum Member
    51 karma
    Thank you guys!

It's good to know that other people are thinking of studying for an extended amount as well.

@Pacifico I didn't know you should BR with a clean PT! Still have roughly 30 fresh PTs, so hopefully with proper BR and more PTs things should start improving
  • slizzardslizzard Member
    105 karma
    @Pacifico just to clarify - so when i start doing BR on Practice tests, should i purchase two sets of these tests? one for the timed practice test and one for BR? sorry got a little confused.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you don't have PDFs, then just make a copy of the test, unless the cost of your labor and your supplies to copy the test page by page at home is significantly higher to you than the cost of a new hard copy.