Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about the practical usage of knowing the subject, verb, and object of a sentence.

Andrewtanti300Andrewtanti300 Core Member
in General 9 karma

Hello 7Sage, I am currently learning from your grammar lessons and I wanted to know when we use this knowledge on the test, are we constantly trying to parse out the subject, verb, and object? Or is this information that we can draw upon when sentences get tough and are not sure what the sentence even means? Or use it for something else? Granted, I have not learned every module of the grammar lesson but I would like to know to prepare.

Comments

• jilliankirklandjilliankirkland Live Member
    72 karma

Or is this information that we can draw upon when sentences get tough and are not sure what the sentence even means?

I think you nailed it here! I’ve been studying now for five months and go back to the grammar lessons every month or so for a refresher. You won’t ever find yourself slowing down to identify verbs and such in a PT or drill, but if you’re so familiar with sentence parts that knowing them is just natural, it’s a huge asset in how well you understand a stimulus or passage on first read. The difference between 1 and 5 star questions isn’t about the question or answer choices, it’s the more complicated stimulus or passage language, structure, assumptions or inferences they require you to work with. If the language is complicated you may miss all of the other parts because you didn’t know which subject they were referencing, or who did what. You’ll sometimes see question explanation videos specifically mention the sentence parts of complex, long, or referential sentences when breaking it up would make it easier to understand or is critical to unlocking what the author assumes but doesn’t explicitly state.