Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Optional Essay Help Advice

lukerusaklukerusak Core Member

Hey guys, I am currently finalizing my applications but am on the fence if I should submit an optional essay for this prompt:

"You are not required to submit an optional statement. However, you may upload an optional statement regarding any economic, cultural, social, or other factors that you wish for us to consider when reviewing your application. Your optional statement should not exceed two pages (double-spaced) with a minimum of one-inch margins and a 10-point font size. Your decision not to provide an optional statement does not adversely impact the review of your application."

Am I wrong in interpreting this as a diversity statement? For context, my optional essay is about how Washington state mountaineering culture influenced my identity and instilled perseverance and tenacity in me. I do NOT want to submit this and come off as tone deaf or ignorant to admission officers if others are writing about URM status and going through real struggles rather than writing about hobbies. Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• colelauren07colelauren07 Live Member
    4 karma

Realistically, yes, this optional essay is a way for them to ask about diversity without asking about diversity. I think it would make more sense to reflect your perseverance and tenacity in your personal statement, which should explain who you are and what skills/traits you have that will make you a good law student and student at this school.