Comprehension Question: PTA.S2.Q1 RC Passage 1 MP

SubpoenaColadaSubpoenaColada Core Member
edited 7:48AM in Reading Comprehension 47 karma

Hi there,

I completed PTA RC, which doesn't have video or written explanations for the answers. Despite getting the answer correct, there was a major time sink on my end for the first question of the first passage. I want to reaffirm my thinking for the right / wrong ACs. Could anyone who has taken this PT confirm or revise my understanding?

Q1
AC A: Clandestine marriages is not at all supported by Donahue's position, lines 46-48 state that "so long as they acted in accordance with established bann procedures, a couple could marry without parental consent and still enjoy the blessing of the Church." Bann compliance is not considered clandestine. I had no trouble finding support against this.

HOWEVER, I struggled with whether the first part of this AC (concerning synthesis) is descriptively accurate and broad enough to be the MP. Is it accurate to say that "the doctrine of marriage by Pope Alexander III represented a synthesis of traditional ecclesiastical dnd legal opinion"? Would this sentence be accurate and potentially good enough for a revised MP or am I misunderstanding the passage?

AC B: More support for this is provided by the passage; no issues. (Based on mutual consent is supported by paragraph 1. Encouraged marriages based on love is supported in paragraph 2.)

Any help understanding this passage and question is appreciated! Happy studying!