Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explanation?

Hi JY! I don't quite understand this answer choice as I eliminated option A and B as they mention water levels - which aren't specifically addressed by the passage. Could you please help me out with an explanation for this?

Comments

• lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    For what problem??
  • The french divers problem
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    When you have a specific question it is best to cite the PT #, Section #, and Question #, as some questions or passages cover similar topics. Not saying it's the case here but it helps people come to your aid more quickly.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    PT20/1/1:

The Cave is completely filled with water, and yet it is filled with stalagmites. How are stalagmites formed? Water drips from the ceiling onto a single spot and, over time, the mineral deposits form pillars.

Wait, how could water drip from the ceiling of the cave if it were completely filled with water? The only way this is possible is if the water in the cave was lower when the pillars were formed! This is exactly what B says: the water in the cave is higher now than it once was.

Hope this helps!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    I believe the OP is referring to PT 20 Section #1 Question 1
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    The stimulus states that there are stalagmites, which form when drops of water fall on a cave floor. This means that there used to be parts of the floor, which were not covered with water, which makes "B" correct.
  • Wow thanks! That was super helpful @c.janson35 and @alexandergreene93 :)
    Sure. I shall shall do that from the next time around! @Pacifico