PT55.S1.Q18 - there is little plausability

jmac800jmac800 Member
edited January 2016 in General 94 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-55-section-1-question-18/
I am having trouble with these main point questions in general. It seems I always fall for the trap answer which is usually some kind of point just not the main one. In this one I picked C. I understand E matches that part of the passage after However, I just don't understand why it is the main point. The video explanation just kind of took it for granted that it was more clear that the first statement wasn't the conclusion. But it seemed to me that is what he was trying to convince me of and what the entire argument was structured around. The however part seemed more like it was supporting the first sentence.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    First, I think the however is indicative here because it introduces a conceptual shift in the argument, and then this new topic is supported by the last sentence. So this is clearly a conclusion because it is a point that the author is arguing for and supporting with the negatives about being judgmental.

Now that we know this is a conclusion, we can look back to the argument to see how it's designed. The author is differentiating being critical and being judgmental, saying that the former is ok and natural while the lateral is basically ignorant (done without serious understanding). So it becomes clear that the first sentence actually provides context to understand further what being judgmental is.

The second thing that I think gives away that the first sentence is not the conclusion is the word "obviously" which starts the second sentence and is supporting the assertion made in the first sentence. Obviosuly indicates that something is known or readily apparent--a fact of life that needs no explanation. It is obvious. This then tells us that there really is no conclusion and premise relationship here, rather, the author is making a general assertion that he is taking to be a readily discernable fact based on how human interaction works.

So, in all, the argument is designed to read like this: "even though it's ok to be critical, it's never ok to be judgmental because being judgmental is ignorant". The conclusion there should be clear if you boil it down, and that is, essentially: "it's never ok to be judgmental," which is what E, taken from the passage, is saying.

Hope this helps!
  • jmac800jmac800 Member
    94 karma
    I certainly see how the 3rd sentence is A conclusion. Just not how it is the MAIN conclusion over 1st sentence. The 1st sentence is supported by the second, the 3rd sentence is supported by the 4th. So to me it looked kind of like a wash, both appear as answer choices.