Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to wake up (according to science)

sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
edited September 2015 in General 374 karma
This list is not in any particular order.

1) Get exposure to natural light. Light inhibits melatonin production. Your body has a natural circadian rhythm that is tied to the day/night cycle. So basically, at night it produces melatonin and that helps you fall asleep. Keep in mind that exposure to smartphones also inhibits melatonin production. But you've probably already noticed that lol.

2) Take a very cold shower. When your body is experiencing a cold environment, it redistributes blood from external parts to more internal (and integral) parts of your body such as your heart and brain. In other words, it gives your body a little shock and improves blood circulation.

3) Short-term vs long-term energy. In short, if you're a coffee drinker, put a healthy fat in your coffee. Coconut oil (virgin) or butter for instance. Fat is a longer term energy source so it's a good sidekick for your coffee.

4) Exercise. Did you think I was going to leave this one out? This one is more obvious. I personally don't overdo it. Just some movement not necessarily power lifting or marathon running lol. The goal is to improve circulation.

This isn't an exhaustive list. There are other things you can do and I'm sure everyone has their own daily routine anyway. Maybe there are some exercise scientists here as well. I didn't mention ingesting protein as part of your breakfast, which is also beneficial. But anyway, I wanted to share this and maybe it'll help you out.

Comments

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Some really nice advice here. Thank you for sharing! I'll definitely look to stay away from computers/smart phones at least an hour before I go to sleep.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    This is basically my life's work, convincing people of these things ... Except the cold shower. Ain't got no time for that, and if you're supporting your adrenals otherwise, you won't need to.

I would add what I consider to be the MOST important part, which is getting up at the exact same time EVERY day. No sleeping in. Every time I test this I regret it. If I am not motivated to get up one morning, I find one thing I REALLYREALLY want to do. Usually that's go to breakfast. So I do.

Notice I did not say going to sleep at the same time. That happens naturally with the work done on the waking end.

Because at this point, working out is not treat enough to motivate myself consistently. That will change after Oct 3rd once I have a bit more brain space and more tolerance for task-oriented exertion.
    7965 karma
    Also—f.lux, an app for the Mac, filters out blue light and syncs with sunrise/sunset. I've been using it for a long time.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Yes for sure, waking up at the same time is vitally important and even in my experience as well. Regarding that app, for anyone else reading she's talking about how blue light has a greater impact on inhibiting melatonin vs red light for instance. There are some screen protectors for your iPhone that claim to do that as well. If you have an android phone or jailbroken iPhone, you can download an app for it as well.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The only credited response is having a baby projectile vomit you out of deep slumber every morning. The rest will take care of itself.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    The only credited response is having a baby projectile vomit you out of deep slumber every morning.
    Yaaaaassss
  • mepujalsmepujals Alum Member
    103 karma
    @Pacifico think I could borrow one of yours for test day? lol
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    Hahahaha I guess that works as well @Pacifico
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    The only credited response is having a baby projectile vomit you out of deep slumber every morning. The rest will take care of itself.
    bahaha I hope it's okay to laugh. Def imagined this & I'm sure it's quite effective.
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    thanks!! exercise is def the BEST for exam taking in my experience
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I love using an iOS app called Sleep Cycle. It works 99% of the time for me. There are a few drawbacks though: you're required to have your iOS device in bed with you...which can be a bother if you're in bed with your significant other...or you may kick your iOS device off the bed.