Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficiency Necessity confusion

Luis89011Luis89011 Alum Member
edited December 2013 in General 48 karma
ok I know this is dumb, but is there sufficiency necessity confusion with mind on the money and money on the mind?
or is it the same relationship?

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2013 3658 karma
    Haha. Good one. I believe that would be construed as a bi-conditional statement if you entered the indicators: "If and only if" or "If but only if".
  • Bret CypelBret Cypel Alum Member
    122 karma
    There is no logical indicator in the phrase "Mind on the Money and Money on the Mind".

You could make the sentence, "If I have my mind on the money, then I have money on my Mind".

In this sentence, "mind on the money" would be the sufficient condition and "money on my mind" would be the necessary condition.

You could also make it, "I do not have my mind on the money, until I have the money on my mind".

This would have the same meaning as the earlier sentence, since "until" is a negate sufficient logical indicator.

Ultimately, the phrase you originally wrote " Mind on the money and Money on the Mind" is not a conditional statement, because I believe it lacks a subject, a predicate, and a logical indicator.

However, very good question! :)
  • Luis89011Luis89011 Alum Member
    48 karma
    right right, lol, i dont know how common it is for snoop to sing complete sentences. And then I heard it, and I automatically thought, well, If I have my mind on the money and then I have money on my mind, and then got an answer choice that reversed it, since its the same subject matter, could there be confusion?
  • Bret CypelBret Cypel Alum Member
    edited December 2013 122 karma
    What do you mean by an answer choice that "reversed it". Are you talking about the contrapositive?

The contrapositive of "If I have my mind on the money, then I have the money on my mind" (MNDonMNY-> MNYonMND) would be:

"If I do not have the money on my mind, then I do not have my mind on the money" (/MNYonMND->/MNDonMNY)

Like Simpaticonx was saying, the sentence may also be a biconditional if you insert the phrase "if and only if":

"I have my mind on the money, 'if and only if', I have the money on my mind."

Which breaks down into:
    1) "If I have my mind on the money, then I have the money on my mind"
    2) "If I have my money on my mind, then I have my mind on the money"

The contrapostive to this biconditional would be:

"I do not have my mind on the money, if and only if, I do not have the money on my mind"

Which then breaks down similarly to the example above.

If you were simply just asking whether the phrase (my mind on my money/my money on my mind) is confusing because the two components are so similar... then yes, I would say it could be confusing... lol

Does this answer your question?
  • Luis89011Luis89011 Alum Member
    48 karma
    yeah its def easier as a bi-conditional and the components are def confusing, lol. I was saying in the form, if J->F, and the lsat does the common wrong answer F->J, would the wrong answer (F->J) or " I have money on the mind, then I have mind on the money; would that be suff necc confusion with the components being so similiar, and of course I havent seen it that similiar yet, but I havent done too many PT's. Thanks for helping bret, this is awesome.