Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pt-72 more difficult?

lschoolgolschoolgo Member
edited September 2015 in General 274 karma
i did pt-72 recently and got one of my worst RC scores in recent pts at -9.

Did anyone who usually does 170+ in modern PTs find that they slipped well below their average on this PT? How many you missed in different sections and rc passages of this PT?

i thought the LG (game-4) and RC of this one were very difficult. i was planning to decide whether to take October or not based on this PT performance. but i am now not sure if this PT is representative of recent tests in general.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @lschoolgo said:
    Did anyone who usually does 170+ in modern PTs find that they slipped well below their average on this PT?
    I sure did. I was within 12 hours of coming down with stomach flu, so that was an additional X-factor. I believe 72 was 6 or 7 points below my average for fresh takes at that time.
  • lschoolgolschoolgo Member
    edited September 2015 274 karma
    @nicole.hopkins

i was surprised by the difficulty of this test compared to 71, which had a better curve.

what you scored on this one? and its rc?

the LR for this test was ok, but lg and rc had some games/passages that seemed incomparable to even other recent PTs.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    72 destroyed me as well.
  • fishtwentyfivefishtwentyfive Free Trial Member
    227 karma
    @lschoolgo I dropped roughly 6 points for this PT as well. So did my buddy that took it with me. Weird.
    is the drop in comparison with other 70s PTs? do you mind sharing what you scored in this test vs other 70s tests?

i feel that the RC was 4-5 raw points more difficult than other RCs and LG was 3-4 raw points more difficult than recent LG.

@kylemitchellx
  • fishtwentyfivefishtwentyfive Free Trial Member
    227 karma
    @lschoolgo
    171 on 70,
    177 on 71,
    174 on 73,
    168 on 75, (even though I took this one in June, wtf?)

and
    166 on 72.

LG really got me on 72 (-8)
    RC really got me on 70 (-7)
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    I actually scored above my average on this one.

How far below your normal range was your scaled score?
    @kylemitchellx
    i scored the same as you on this test. from your other recent pts it clearly looks to be a strange one. any reason why pt-75 was below your normal scores?

how did you do in 72 RC compared to others? i thought it was much more difficult than 70 RC.

since i scored well below my target in 72, if 72 isn't an outlier because 75 is just as difficult as 72, then i should probably reconsider taking the Oct test.

@allergic
    i don't have fresh tests left, so i have no idea of my current normal range. i was hoping pt-72 will provide me a measure of what i can score on test day given it was the last fresh test i had. i have been retaking tests as i don't have fresh ones since my last real administration.

can you say how what you scored on this and what your average is?
    246 karma
    @lschoolgo I scored a 179 on PT 72. Here are my scores for the last eight practice tests I took before I took the real one in June:
    PT 70: 176
    PT 42: 176
    PT 37: 177
    PT 71: 174
    PT 72: 179
    PT 41: 177
    PT 73: 180
    PT 74: 176
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @allergic
    May I ask what you scored on the June exam?
    246 karma
    @alexandergreene93 175 to 180 range, send me a PM if you want my exact score.
    @lschoolgo I don't think you can gauge how you'll score based on one PT. What's your target score and what have you been getting on the PTs you've been retaking?
    that's a nice score on such a difficult test. i couldn't have thought that people could score near perfect on an RC this difficult under fresh timed conditions.

i missed 4 questions alone on the 3rd passage, which i took around 12 mins to complete. i only had less than 4 mins to finish the 4th passage and so couldn't get to some questions. i have been at it for a while so i am just not sure what I could have done better in RC.

how did you score in its RC and what passages did you miss questions?

how much time do you take to read the passage and then to do questions?

yes, 1 pt is probably not enough to gauge real performance, but i don't have any fresh ones left. my target is 174+. i have been getting a wide range of 170 scores on the retakes, but i can't believe them as i feel they are skewed. RC in particular loses its edge if one has done the section before as a fresh section that is challenging to score well in 35 mins can become much easier on a retake due to familiarity. i scored 166 on pt-72 and i am not sure if that means that i can't get to my target on the game day.
    @allergic said:
    allergic

4 hours ago
    48 karma Flag

@lschoolgo I scored a 179 on PT 72. Here are my scores for the last eight practice tests I took before I took the real one in June:
    PT 70: 176
    PT 42: 176
    PT 37: 177
    PT 71: 174
    PT 72: 179
    PT 41: 177
    PT 73: 180
    PT 74: 176
    @allergic said:
    allergic

2 hours ago
    48 karma Flag

@alexandergreene93 175 to 180 range, send me a PM if you want my exact score.
    @lschoolgo I don't think you can gauge how you'll score based on one PT. What's your target score and what have you been getting on the PTs you've been retaking?
    246 karma
    @lschoolgo I'm not sure what I did with the test booklet or answer sheet from PT 72, so I couldn't tell you what I scored on the individual sections. I'm just looking at my calendar where I marked which days I took which tests and what I scored on them.

I spent about 3 minutes reading each passage, and the rest of the time on the questions. I spent more time on the questions for some passages than for others, and I almost always worked until the last minute on RC.

To save time, I did not underline, highlight, or take any notes while reading. When answering the questions, I forced myself to quickly choose and move on if I couldn't decide.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @lschoolgo
    Instead of searching for the right answer, look for any reason to eliminate an answer choice. Many people do not know how to effectively utilize the POE method. You have to zero-in on every single word. The answer choice says "most," but does the stimulus support this indication of a majority, or is "some" or "many" the only supported quantity. POE is especially important for the exams in the 70s.
    7965 karma
    we have one job. That job is POE.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    @allergic, so would you say you scored in the 175-175.5 range? Or the 176-176.5 range? Or maybe the 177-177.5 range? Perhaps even the 178-178.5 range? 179-179.5 is also a range, what about this one? Or possibly even the 180-180.5 range?
    edited September 2015 246 karma
    @c.janson35 Haha. Actually the 175-175.5 range and the 179-179.5 range were not possible ranges for the June LSAT.
  • LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    62 karma
    @allergic Oh my dear 7sage brotherenth, I have envy and respect pouring out of my nostrils for you right now
  • LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    edited September 2015 62 karma
    Btw taking the 72nd tomorrow. I'll come back and comment after I'm done.
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    i did pretty well on this one. the rc is the hardest section for sure
    274 karma
    @allergic considering the high range you were scoring in, how much time did you take (like 30 seconds) for a question before you decide to just move on from it and be sure to lose 1pt? it seems it'd be pretty hard to do this in rc there is little time to revisit the questions at the end. if you simply picked the one that seemed best to you, that would probably make you feel less confident at the end of the section.

since 3 min per passage reading, does it mean that for some passages you took 5-6 mins to do 6-7 questions and for some other passages may be 4-5 mins?
    @allergic said:
    @lschoolgo I'm not sure what I did with the test booklet or answer sheet from PT 72, so I couldn't tell you what I scored on the individual sections. I'm just looking at my calendar where I marked which days I took which tests and what I scored on them.

I spent about 3 minutes reading each passage, and the rest of the time on the questions. I spent more time on the questions for some passages than for others, and I almost always worked until the last minute on RC.

To save time, I did not underline, highlight, or take any notes while reading. When answering the questions, I forced myself to quickly choose and move on if I couldn't decide.

@lpadr009 how you scored on the each section and overall?

246 karma
    @lschoolgo maybe about 30 seconds max after reading all the answer choices. What I found was that doing this was not a guaranteed loss of a point. With questions that stumped me, I was about as accurate when I just picked one and moved on as I was when spent lots of time (a minute or two) thinking. Spending that much time on one question caused me to frequently have 5 minutes or less to read the last passage and answer its questions early in my studies.

For some easier passages I took 5-6 minutes total (closer to 6) to read the passage and do all the questions. For these passages I spent less than 3 minutes reading. Usually this would be the first and sometimes second passage. I used the extra time on the third and fourth passages. Occasionally I had time to revisit a tough question.
    7965 karma
    @allergic said:
    With questions that stumped me, I was about as accurate when I just picked one and moved on as I was when spent lots of time (a minute or two) thinking.
    this