Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEED ADVICE: Which test to take or which test not to take?

edited September 2015 in General 121 karma
So I was hoping for some advice on when to take the LSAT. Here is my story with maybe too much info:

I was planning to take the Dec LSAT. I diagnosed 158 in early August. Started studying with Powerscore then but not too hard because I was finishing a pretty long trip abroad. I came back mid August and started studying pretty hard. I got a 20 hour a week job that started in September. Ran through the PS bibles. Yea, they were pretty bad. Finished them my mid Sept. Took another PT and score 162. Wasn't sure what to do from there because I had no more study material besides PT. Found out about 7sage online and based on its good reviews and lower cost I picked it up.

Now I'm about 35% of the way through the curriculum but just got offered a full time job at a law firm that seemed too good to turn down so I took it. I start next Monday. With that, I doubt... well am almost sure I will not be ready for the Dec LSAT.

The February test seems kind of poop because it is really late in the cycle, likely on an ugly cold day, and if I don't do as well as I am hoping, I don't even know where I did poorly. But the timing seems right and I could at least try to apply for this cycle.

And then, there is June. Which seems oh so pretty. It is in a beautiful time of the year and administered at noon which is a huge plus for this guy. But that means waiting another year. Since I have this pretty cool job that is not so bad but more concerning to me than that it seems so far away. I motivated to study now. I feel it. But I don't know if I could keep feeling so pump for another 8 months. Ugh that's far. Is that too much time? I know JY says 1 year. I know, but that feels like a lot to me knowing how my energy levels for things fluctuates.

My insane plan for now was to sign for the Dec or Feb test, see how I feel closer to the date, if I feel bad: postpone. If I feel good: take it. Then once I take the test, If I feel bad: cancel it. If I feel good: get my score and hope I wasn't dead wrong.

My concern with this plan is that 1) it might a waste of $mula$ 2) I may hella misjudge how I did and end up with a crap score 3) It can really throw off my study schedule 4) I have never heard of someone doing this so it feels silly.

Is my plan for now that bad? Its pretty bad huh? So just put aside my concerns for the Feb or June tests and just take one of those? And if so which one?

Ahhh, well if you have made it this far I already love you for reading through my somewhat unexisting problems. Your the best. And if you could give me some advice, well then you are the bestest. So many thanks in advance.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Its hard to say since you haven't actually started your new job yet. I would hold off until you see how your new life schedule will be. If it is a simple 9-5 type job, then you can still be ready by December, you just have to make sure you put off enough time to study. Studying with a 40 hr week job is def possible but you need to be determined and know your priorities. If your job is much more demanding and random hrs it might be a better idea to hold off the year, make sure you give enough attention to properly do your job while having a more lax study schedule with plans to up your studying a little later for maybe June
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    @markariangeorge said:
    My insane plan for now was to sign for the Dec or Feb test, see how I feel closer to the date, if I feel bad: postpone. If I feel good: take it. Then once I take the test, If I feel bad: cancel it. If I feel good: get my score and hope I wasn't dead wrong.
    This really depends on your goal of when you want to apply to law school and which schools you want to apply to.

Getting a 158 diagnostic is pretty good, and scoring 162 on your next test is even better (since you've studied with PS material). You just got a new job so I'm sure you'll be dedicating most of your life to it, but maybe still leave some room open during the weekends and take one PT a week with careful review (after you've finished the curriculum).

Be patient with the process and it'll reward you. With a 158 and a 162 on your first two tests, you seem like you have the potential to score in the 170s in my opinion.
  • 121 karma
    Thanks ya'll! I guess I should see where I am at in a couple of week and decided then.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 7965 karma
    @markariangeorge said:
    And then, there is June. Which seems oh so pretty. It is in a beautiful time of the year and administered at noon which is a huge plus for this guy. But that means waiting another year.
    Another year, applying with a better score. Seems like a no-brainer to me!
    @markariangeorge said:
    If I feel good: take it. Then once I take the test, If I feel bad: cancel it.
    Why do this and waste one of your 3 chances to take?

My vote:

Get serious. Study. Take a TON of tests (and retake a bunch of those). And take in June.