Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"For" "For Example"

Martin01Martin01 Member
in General 343 karma
In understand that the word “for” introduces a premise with the conclusion following the premise or preceding this word. Does this this concept apply when “for example” is in the stimulus?

Please explain. Thank you.

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2015 7468 karma
    Yes and No. “For” is an interesting word because it has two grammatical functions, as a preposition and as a conjunction. It is only a logical indicator when it is being used as a conjunction. When it is used as a preposition, like “for my friends”, it is not. It’s merely describing a word. For example, “I bought this round of drinks for my friends.” Here "my friends” isn’t a premise supporting the conclusion that "I bought this round of drinks”. It’s describing who I bought the drinks for?

"For example” actually does introduce a premise but not because of any grammatical weirdness. It’s a premise because an example’s purpose is to support some conclusion.

“Since” has the same weirdness. The “Since 8:00” in “Since 8:00, I’ve been studying LSAT” isn’t a premise supporting the conclusion that “I’ve been studying LSAT”. It’s merely describing how long “I’ve been studying” because “since” is acting like a preposition.

Go English!

Hope this helps.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Great breakdown @DumbHollywoodActor!
    7468 karma
    Thanks, @c.janson35. Conjunction vs. Preposition grammar is in my SAT Tutor wheelhouse. :)
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I bought a round of drinks, for my friends had just taken the LSAT and were stressing out about the LG section.
    7468 karma
    Nice, @nye8870 . Nice.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Go English!
    SAT tutoring FTW!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @nye8870 said:
    I bought a round of drinks, for my friends had just taken the LSAT and were stressing out about the LG section.
    Where is mine ??
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Where is mine ??
    Here y'go! :-)