Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT. 30 S2 Q05

rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
in General 149 karma
My initial answer choice was the correct answer (B). But I ended up going with A because the language seemed too extreme. Should we expect/allow the language to be extreme in principle questions? HELP!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    In general, I think you can approach these kinds of questions as sort of reverse most strongly supported types of questions because you're looking for an answer that can be seen as an example or illustration of the stimulus. So, if it is the case that an extreme answer is very well supported by the stimulus, then it can be a winning answer. But I would say that strongly worded answers are nearly always suspect on the LSAT. This doesn't mean they're incorrect, but they demand a higher level of proof than milder answers.

I would say that A is the more extremely worded answer here, compared to B. A says that children are MOST effectively thought by someone setting an example. This is simply not supported because the parent tried without success to get her child to imitate her brushing her teeth, which falls under the umbrella of setting an example. But even if setting an example did work, we still wouldn't know that it is the MOST effective way to teach a child something. B, on the other hand, simply says children more readily adopt a behavior through repetition, which is exactly what the situation was here. The child didn't start brushing her teeth until it became a pre-reading routine that she followed because reason and imitation didn't work. Thus, if there were a generalization that could be made by the one instance we have, it would be answer choice B.

Hope this helps!
  • rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
    149 karma
    Definitely helps! Thank you!