Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Differences in CAS GPA and Degree GPA

LawSheepLawSheep Member
edited October 2015 in General 25 karma
Hello! I just got my Academic Summary report back from LSAC and it has recalculated my GPA to be far higher than my university lists it as. The policy differs from college to college within my university, but mine doesn't count grades received from performing and visual arts classes into our GPA's. The arts classes must be taken for credit and the grade is shown on my official transcript, so LSAC went ahead and added them to my GPA. (It's kind of nice I guess because one of my ensembles is pretty demanding and eats up between 10 - 20 hours a week of my time. I love it, but it's challenging at times with work/class.)

Do you think I'll need to write an addendum to explain the discrepancy? Also, I know they'll get my university transcript anyways, so is the boost pointless?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    No addendum needed since they'll have all the evidence in front of them and such things happen all the time. I forgot I took about a dozen college credits during post grad school (between HS and UG) and when I went back and got those transcripts it ended up raising my LSAC GPA by .16 so it definitely makes a difference.

The boost is not pointless because schools only report LSAC GPAs for ranking purposes. So if you jumped even .1 or .2 it can make a big difference in your target schools depending on how well your perform on the LSAT.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @LawSheep said:
    Do you think I'll need to write an addendum to explain the discrepancy?
    Nope! Enjoy the boost. No addendum needed.
  • LawSheepLawSheep Member
    25 karma
    Thanks so much! This is very helpful~
    The same thing is happening to me with classes I took in high school from an art college that I never transferred over because I decided not to major in visual arts. I'd almost forgotten I'd taken them until I took a look at my official transcript and the art college was listed under past educational experience!
    Waiting for the October LSAT scores is terrible, but this is at least making it a little bit better. hahaha