Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reading comppt 37 section passage 3 #15

jmac800jmac800 Member
in General 94 karma
Invisible man passage.

I;m sorry I read the explanation, it still makes no sense to me how A has anything to do with the lines referred to. To me C look like the best answer because it is giving tribute to the ancestors and it involves political concept and critics thought it needed politics. Answer choice A doesn't address this. It requires a huge leap, how are we suppose to guess positive effect on social conditions mean the specific social conditions (which I assume it means political action) addressed in the passage? And how is political action a social condition? that seems very odd. I am not seeing the connection between the lines cited and the answer choice here as in how they are supported.

Comments

• jmac800jmac800 Member
    94 karma
    Also I don't see how C was wrong, C makes it clear it is more political and this is what they wanted.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I think you can infer A from these lines: 10-13 and 17-20. Both deal with specifically directing art toward political action and important political/cultural purposes.

The critics believed that Ellison's individual voice prevented him from commenting on the important cultural conditions of his time, which they thought was an overriding purpose of art then. But if Invisible Man had effected positive change through the individual voice, then maybe they would have reacted more favorably.

C does add a tinge of politics to the book, but only in the form of "tribute" to political predecessors. So if the book remained the same but Ellison dedicated it at the beginning to these predecessors, would the critics have been more favorable?