On timing...tick tock

LSATPuppyLSATPuppy Alum Member
edited February 2014 in General 82 karma
Hey all,

So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to improve timing? My timing is okay but sometimes I go over and I miss the last end of a section and it bums me out because I'll go back and I'll get most of them correct. I heard that some people reduce their time while PTing (33 min. instead of 35 min.) to train yourself. Has anyone ever tried to reduce their section time to like 30 min. to train with that more intense pressure? Or is that not enough time to be accurate?

I appreciate any and all comments, thanks!

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Follow the blind review, timing is engrained within the method itself.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited February 2014 1878 karma
    I used to reduce time. Not 30; more like 33. I think it helped, not so sure.

I remember taking a day off to work solely on RC. Printed out a huge stack of RC I had done, and reread them, beginning without a clock and then with. I was hoping the patterns would emerge and be internalized. I felt that learning how to read and recognize RC properly was a bit intangible. I think experience gets you familiar with what to look out for and remember.

I also changed my approach. At the start I was underlining and circling. But some time into my prep, I gave that up and just read focused. Maybe a few marks here and there. It saved me time. And lead.

I also played around with quickly reading the entire passage twice. I didn't do it on the test, but it was interesting.

I think you should tinker a bit and try finding what you are most comfortably with. Ultimately, whatever works best for you will save you time because you won't be wasting time rereading or being undecided.
  • LSATPuppyLSATPuppy Alum Member
    82 karma
    Thy name is Al, thanks seems easy(ish) enough then!

LSATIsland, how long did it take you to read the passage twice? Did you speed through the first time and then go back to collect any information you might have missed the second time around? I often read a sentence and have to re-read it because I just can't absorb what it's saying the first time through. I'm trying to learn how to comprehend the material fully the first time around because I feel like this is where I'm wasting time.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    I probably did it in around 4 minutes, if I recall correctly. I don't think it's a very good approach, but it's worth a try. I think I would read it all again the second time. I was trying it as a reaffirmation type of reading, hoping the familiarity of repetition would help for memory.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @LSATPuppy: When I took Testmasters they never really discussed the importance of timing. I mean they went through the average breakdown per questions, but they never really got to the crux of how to improve your time. All they would say is, "with more practice you'll get there". JY talks about timing all the time, especially with the blind review. It's not enough to get it right--anyone can get it right if you give them enough time.

Don't worry, you'll get there! :)