Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discrepancy with name on LSAT Registration

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
in General 2573 karma
Can anyone offer any other ideas? I got the email today regarding everything for test day. The name on your ID must exactly match your name on the admission ticket. The only form of ID I have is my drivers license and my last name is incorrect. My last name ends with "rey" but my license has "ery". Of course I need to get my license fixed but I have no acceptable documentation showing the correct spelling of my last name. My birth certificate and social security card also have my name spelled incorrectly as "ery." When I applied for my new license in a new state the guy took the spelling from my birth certificate instead of from my application. I didn't notice the misspelling until I got home but didn't want to go back after spending 2.5 hrs there. Bad decision, in know. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow but I don't have anything with the correct spelling of my name. From researching online it looks like I'll have to file for a name change with the courts. That won't be completed before the December test. I thought about just getting a state ID just to be able to present something to LSAC to change the name, but again, I have no documentation. Anybody have any suggestions? I can't even change the date at this point, I don't think. The deadline was last Friday.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    It sounds like you need to call LSAC first thing tomorrow morning.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    As long as you can get a hearing a name change is instantaneous. I'd try for that and call LSAC in the meantime. Honestly I don't think half the proctors out there would care if they would even notice. If you can't change your name and LSAC won't help I would say just go for it and play it cool like there's nothing wrong and then if they say something then just throw yourself on the mercy of the proctor.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @nicole.hopkins @Pacifico thx guys. I called LSAC and the woman was confident that I would be ok because it's a common issue that the DMV misspells a name, but idk. The form I have to submit says I have to present documentation showing the correct spelling of the name, just like the DMV, but I don't have anything. I'm going to the DMV to see if I have better luck there. Maybe they can pull up my application and see the correct spelling and see that it was their mistake and allow me to change without jumping thru hoops??? Wishful thinking! Lol
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    It's all about confidence... Just show your ID like it's no big deal... Act like you've been there before...
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Yep @Pacifico like a boss! That's definitely my last resort!